Mares MR22 (new design)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My dive partner yesterday reflected that I am using an older version of the Mares MR22 1st stage and was wondering if it was worth buying the new version of the MR22. Until recently I thought the only change was that they cut down the amount of metal on the outside to make it smaller/lighter but a discussion a few weeks ago with a shop owner indicated they may have changed some of the internals.

I can't find a service manual listing the new design to see the parts list/diagrams and the shop owner was very vague.

Does anyone know if and what internal changes were made with the MR22 redesign that came out over the last year or so?

-Z

Call someone like DRIS, ask for the service department, and ask them whether it takes the same service kit.

Reactions: Zef
check with Bryan at @Lake Hickory Scuba he's a mares guru though I suspect there is no point in upgrading

Will give him a shout....I'm not looking to upgrade, my dive partner is looking to purchase a reg set and was asking what the difference was between my mr22 1st stage and the current mr22 offering from Mares.

-Z

Call someone like DRIS, ask for the service department, and ask them whether it takes the same service kit.

This may not be indicative of an upgrade. Most Apeks regs take the same kits as do many Aqualung first stages. People also use the Aqualung seats in Mares first stages.

This may not be indicative of an upgrade. Most Apeks regs take the same kits as do many Aqualung first stages. People also use the Aqualung seats in Mares first stages.

You're right. The correct question is closer to whether it's got all the same internal parts. It's easy to imagine that adjusting port sizes and shapes for "improved flow" could be claimed as an upgrade, but for an MR22 any noticeable real-world improvement is probably imaginary.

I have an older MR22 that was upgraded with the later version tri-material HP seat when it was last serviced a few years ago, apparently this is a worthwhile mod and certainly it has held great IP lock up ever since. Don’t think there would be much else to change or upgrade!

You're right. The correct question is closer to whether it's got all the same internal parts. It's easy to imagine that adjusting port sizes and shapes for "improved flow" could be claimed as an upgrade, but for an MR22 any noticeable real-world improvement is probably imaginary.

When I was learning to dive in the early 90s the shop stressed US Navy Class A standards. They were proud they were the only dive shop in Orlando that sold every Navy Class A regulator. What is strange is that the US Divers SE2 passed class A testing while the Conself 21 did not (Class B), The much loved Conshelf 14 fared even worse as a class C. The second stages as far as I can tell are the same, and the first stage looks identical except for a larger primary port. So maybe there is something to improved flow. What is even stranger is that an Omega II is a Class C regulator but becomes a Class B with the Max Flow first stage which appears just to have a larger diameter head port and hose.

When I was learning to dive in the early 90s the shop stressed US Navy Class A standards. They were proud they were the only dive shop in Orlando that sold every Navy Class A regulator. What is strange is that the US Divers SE2 passed class A testing while the Conself 21 did not (Class B), The much loved Conshelf 14 fared even worse as a class C. The second stages as far as I can tell are the same, and the first stage looks identical except for a larger primary port. So maybe there is something to improved flow. What is even stranger is that an Omega II is a Class C regulator but becomes a Class B with the Max Flow first stage which appears just to have a larger diameter head port and hose.

To be more specific, I've had MR22's pretty deep (320') on working dives and I never noticed extra inhalation effort. Maybe if I took them deeper than that, I'd want Mares to improve them somehow. But if they supply enough gas to let me work that deep already (not exceptionally hard but not minimally, either), and given that they have *never* failed, it's hard to think I'd find any upgrade worth paying for. That's probably a good thing, since I have four of them.

Ok...pulling this thread back on track:

So there is no internal change to the internals of the MR22 1st stage? Only the cosmetic change to the outside paring down the brass to make it smaller and lighter?

Also, looking at the Mares website it seems like they are phasing out the MR22...can anyone confirm?

-Z

Back
Top Bottom