Mares Mission 3 nitrox only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys.... ok so I just got a Mares Mission 3 Console I bought online and I see that it is labeled as NITROX, not air/nitrox as most images around, and, the user manual states:

The pressure gauge is designed for use exclusively with nitrox, up to 100% oxygen. The use of air (EN12021) or any mixture other than nitrox or oxygen would contaminate the equipment, requiring cleaning and servicing by qualified Technician...

I know that using air and then nitrox can be an issue, I’ve seen warnings on air/nitrox consoles warn that the gauge may be used only with one kind of mix. I don’t do nitrox and in case I do, I can always use another console for that.

Question here is : It is safe to use this with air? will I damage it?

No you will not damage it.
Air is 21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen.
Higher o2 contents can damage non O2 clean equipment not the other way around. Using contaminated air will not damage the equipent but make it non O2 clean and thus not suitable for mixtures above 40% O2.
The nen..... number will be a regeulation for cleanniness of air in lue of impurities and oil content and this standard will not be clean enough to use it as O2 clean safe.

They're basically just saying that it comes from the factory as O2 clean, but if you go and use "unclean" air with it, they can no longer guarantee it's still O2 clean. Just them putting the blame on you if you decided to use if on pure O2 and somehow it caught fire because previously you'd filled it with oil from a ****** air-fill.

O2 clean really only matters on mixes with 40% or higher of O2, so unlikely it will ever be an issue. Nobody using 40% or higher is using it with a console.

No you will not damage it.
Air is 21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen.
Higher o2 contents can damage non O2 clean equipment not the other way around.

THX Ichebasje and OzGrifo , I know that you should never put nitrox on an air "contaminated" console and the 21/79 air mix was my logic in this case but the Nitrox tag and the warning made me wonder...

THX Ichebasje and OzGrifo , I know that you should never put nitrox on an air "contaminated" console and the 21/79 air mix was my logic in this case but the Nitrox tag and the warning made me wonder...

I'm not sure where you got that idea, at least not for recreational nitrox blends.

Back
Top Bottom