Mares Liquid Skin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JcoldwaterIL

Reaction score
A few feet from the beaches of lake Michigan
I used my new liquid skin mask this weekend for 5 dives. It worked great. Ive tried several other masks and havent had a leak free dive until this weekend. the only time it flooded was whne i got kicked in the face and my mask skirt ended up over my hood. I have a mustache and a spot along my right cheekbone where every mask I have used before liquid skin has leaked. The buckles on the strap are great. One tug and the mask falls around your neck for safe keeping. Easy to see in just about every direction too. I barely have to tilt my head to glance down at the guages on my chest. The best part is the buckles hook to the skirt instead of the frame so if you want the mask somewhat tight, it gives a good seal without squishing the whole mask agianst your head and distorting the skirt. It's a little pricey but its worth the extra money.

Wow, we couldn't pay for a better review. Thanks for the great feedback. I'm glad the new Liquidskin is accomplishing what we designed it to do.

Cheers,

JcoldwaterIL:
I used my new liquid skin mask this weekend for 5 dives. It worked great. Ive tried several other masks and havent had a leak free dive until this weekend. the only time it flooded was whne i got kicked in the face and my mask skirt ended up over my hood. I have a mustache and a spot along my right cheekbone where every mask I have used before liquid skin has leaked. The buckles on the strap are great. One tug and the mask falls around your neck for safe keeping. Easy to see in just about every direction too. I barely have to tilt my head to glance down at the guages on my chest. The best part is the buckles hook to the skirt instead of the frame so if you want the mask somewhat tight, it gives a good seal without squishing the whole mask agianst your head and distorting the skirt. It's a little pricey but its worth the extra money.

I think it's a great mask too. I "treated" myself to a new mask when I became an instructor and the liquid skin is the one I chose. This is the 6th or 7th mask I've owned since I started diving in 1984 and it's really the first one that fit me off the shelf like it was custom made for my face. I like the low profile and the suppleness of the skirt too but I'm a little more reserved about the strap attaching to the skirt than you are. Time will tell if it can take the kind of abuse I can/will give it but my first impression is that it's a real "bullseye in a market saturated with "good enough".

R..

How well does the mask accomodate a one-hand nose pinch for clearing your ears? With gloves on?

I bought a new scuba pro mask last november. I don't remember the model, but it's got a huge, one-piece lens, similar to the mares liquid skin. Very good unobstructed view, easy to look down and see the front of my BC, but due to the shape, with the lenses that go down around the sides of my nose, it makes it a lot harder to clear. I don't think I could clear using one hand with gloves. I'm gonna have to use my index fingers, one on each side, like I'm pointing at my nose with each hand.

I use the mask for snorkeling, and a few pool dives, but haven't used it in the cold water quarry or the ocean yet....

I have drygloves on my drysuit and I didn't have any trouble pinching the nose.

R..

Will they be making the X-vision mid in a liquidskin version? I have a small face and the X-vision mid is the only deep-lens mask that fits me.

Has anyone noticed the skirt pattern difference when comparing to a regular X-Vision? I saw this yesterday when I was comparing both side by side.

I am still waiting for the pure vision to have a liquidskin version. I just prefer the 1 piece glass. No frame in between.

Doug B:
How well does the mask accomodate a one-hand nose pinch for clearing your ears? With gloves on?

I bought a new scuba pro mask last november. I don't remember the model, but it's got a huge, one-piece lens, similar to the mares liquid skin. Very good unobstructed view, easy to look down and see the front of my BC, but due to the shape, with the lenses that go down around the sides of my nose, it makes it a lot harder to clear. I don't think I could clear using one hand with gloves. I'm gonna have to use my index fingers, one on each side, like I'm pointing at my nose with each hand.

I use the mask for snorkeling, and a few pool dives, but haven't used it in the cold water quarry or the ocean yet....

It has a pretty decent amount of room. I was wearing thick wet gloves and had no problem squeezing my nostrels to clear.

Back
Top Bottom