Neptune 3 FFM leaking around eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrasherg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I am hoping some of you might have some ideas!! My wife and I bought Neptune 3 full face masks about 5 months ago, I am 6'2" tall and 175 lbs and took a medium/large size mask (they are only available in 2 sizes small/medium & Medium/large), it fits great and has worked perfectly on my last 20+ dives. My wife is 5'2" tall and 125 lbs and took a size small/medium mask, no matter how tight we try to pull the middle straps, her mask constantly leaks air out at the edges of her forehead (above the corner of her eyes). If she presses lightly with her fingers on the skirt at these point, the leaking stops, but as soon as she exhales, it starts again. It's as if the skirt is too large for her face or is not being pulled tight enough against her face at these 2 locations, I believe this is the smallest size mask that ocean reef offer for the Neptune 3. We where thinking of perhaps putting a little bit of vaseline on her face, just abover her eyes where the mask leaks, to see if that would allow a better seal, but I thought I would also ask on here.. Any ideas what we can do to stop the leaks? I am not sure if this makes it clearer, but the skirt goes straight across the forehead, and then turns at both sides of the forehead to go down past the eye to the lower jaw, it seems to be leaking at the corners where the seal transitions from the horizontal forehead, to the vertical cheek pads.
Thanks for any suggestions or ideas, she loves the mask, but finds the constant leaks on both sides of her head a real annoyance.

Gary

Could be that you're pulling the straps too tight causing the skirt to deform and leak. Just an idea...

We did try loosening them earlier on and it had the same issue, that was a few weeks ago.. really think the skirt is just too large for my wife’s face.. but don’t know how to make it smaller, or source a smaller skirt.. thanks for the suggestion, will try again on the next dive with it a bit looser, but doubtful it will change anything.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom