Looking for a hood that works with KM M48 MOD 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonY

New
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I recently got a kirby morgan mod 1 mask with km balanced scuba pod, hoping that its "gas switching underwater" capabilities will make me more comfortable doing tech divings in cold water, but I'm really struggling to find a hood that seals well with it.

I have tried both waterproof h10 sandwich and seasoft pro 6mm ffm hood. The problem is, the sandwich glideskin part of both of these hoods do not align very well with mod 1. Some part of the skirt lies on the glideskin, some part lies on my face, which is uncomfortable and can cause leaks. Also, I feel like the rubber that seals against my nose in the upper cavity is pretty skinny. It does not extend long enough to seal well against my nose. When I'm not wearing a hood, it barely works, but with the added thickness of the glideskin seal, it just doesn't seal against my nose, so if I want to switch gas underwater, it basically floods, making it no different than my guardian.

I can think of three solutions now:

1. cut a hood to make it work with the mod 1

2. if I can get a latex hood somewhere, I imagine that it could be better, because latex hoods are typically thinner in thickness than glide skin I guess? And they're for commercial divers so they should work pretty well with ffm's I guess?

3. There is a KM hood specifically designed for mod 1. However it uses the threaded ports on the side of the mask, where I attached my Innodive rails. I wonder if that is going to be a problem. I do still want to use my lights and GoPro on the slides with the rails. Also, that hood is expensive as hell, and I don't have an LDS that carries it. I have to order it from somewhere else, but if it doesn't work, I'll then have to deal with returning which is really troublesome.

What do y'all think I should do? Any advice from whoever that has experiences with this mask and hood would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I think you should ditch the notion of using your FFM for technical diving, and trying to use gas blocks and other nonstandard switching methodologies underwater are a fools errand. I can’t think of a competent instructor that would allow such a thing.

That said, I’d simply trim it.

What conditions are you diving the KM M48-M1 in?

Do you need a perfect hood seal, or can you just let the FFM seal to your face and let the hood seal to the mask skirt as well as it happens to?

I don't dive in contaminated water, so as long as it keeps me warm thats fine. The hood doesn't need to seal perfectly to the mask, but I still would prefer as little water movement as possible. Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom