Mares Iso therm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m and m

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a new suit, i really really feel the cold (i dive in 20 degree C water, currently wearing a 3mm surfing suit under an ancient oceanic semi dry (more like semi wet :) ) I have been told the 6.5mm mares isotherm is lovely and warm. But how about the zip, is it prone to breaking...

Any advice/ experience with this suit would be appreciated

mat

Why do you suggest that... warmer... easier to get on and off?

The Isotherm is a good suit. The zipper is similar to those found in dry suits. With regular care, mine has lasted for 7 years (over 200 dives) with no problems. A snug yet comfortable fit. Cheers!

Do a search on Isotherm and you will see that most like it. I like mine for what it is. So far no problems with the zip. Take care of it like any other piece of gear and it will last.

funkyspelunker:
You should look into the Pinnacle Fusion suit. 5/4 mm merino wool w/ titanium.
Question: How do you change the starter on a Ford Taurus
Answer: Buy a Chevy Tahoe

I think the question he asked was about a zipper , not what suit you think is the best.

The zipper should be worry free if you wax it with every use and regularly clean it.

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
how is the isotherm with the cold say versus a regular 7mm?

The Isotherm is a Semi-dry (or Semi-wet) suit that is designed to limit the transfer of water in and out of the suit. This is done by using a drysuit zipper and neck seal. It also has ankle and wrist seals that are designed to allow very little water transfer. The less water that circulates in and out of your wetsuit means less heat loss.

m and m:
I'm thinking of getting a new suit, i really really feel the cold (i dive in 20 degree C water, currently wearing a 3mm surfing suit under an ancient oceanic semi dry (more like semi wet :) ) I have been told the 6.5mm mares isotherm is lovely and warm. But how about the zip, is it prone to breaking...

Any advice/ experience with this suit would be appreciated

mat

Hi Mat,

The Isotherm uses T Zip, it comes with the lubricant. With proper care there should be no issue regarding durability.

Regards,

Phil

divingbuddy:
The Isotherm is a good suit. The zipper is similar to those found in dry suits. With regular care, mine has lasted for 7 years (over 200 dives) with no problems. A snug yet comfortable fit. Cheers!

The zipper on the 2006 Isotherm as Phil stated is a TI Zip. Just to add a bit of technical description... This is different than the older version YKK zipper commonly used on drysuits and older Isotherm.

• TI Zip is 700 mbar pressure rated opposed to 350 mbar = stronger

• Lighter weight and more flexible/comfortable

• Self sealing zipper = protected teeth, more durable, better sealing properties

For full technical characteristics you can see the zipper in all applications at

Also the new Isotherm comes with an attached 1.5mm vest for a total of 8mm in the core area. this is an extremely comfortable and warm suit. Attached is an image of the superseal tizip.

zak

Dectek:
Question: How do you change the starter on a Ford Taurus
Answer: Buy a Chevy Tahoe

I think the question he asked was about a zipper , not what suit you think is the best.

Question: how do you convince others you're smart?

Answer: make cheeky comments about others' comments.

All kidding aside, I realize he was asking about the zip, but I assume he was thinking about the Isotherm because he was concerned about getting a suit that would keep him toasty in the water. I was suggesting another such suit, without the added concern of caring for a dry zip. Sorry about not spelling it out more clearly :11doh:

Back
Top Bottom