Mares Icon or Zeagle Stiletto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matthewkavanagh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, so I'm going to by one or the other of these... but the question is which one. I haven't been able to get someplace to touch and feel them (or dive either one) so I'm looking for opinions. Both are super light weight and travel ready back inflates--my biggest criterion. But what else. The Icon looks more comfy, the Stiletto has pockets...

Do you own one or the other?
What do you like/dislike about them?
Anybody dove both?

Thanks!
Matt

Don't want to goof up your system here... but you might also glance at the Zeagle Brigade. It has a bit sturdier material for the shoulders and waist panels, and still packs up very small as it has the 35 lb bladder. But will also give you some extra features like metal d-rings, the ability to use different bladders (just in case you ever want more lift... doubles, etc) and an additional roll down pocket.

I have used all 3 - and while I like a lot of Mares products... for the BC, I'd lean toward the zeagle... lifetime warranty, and more modular and well under $400... It's what I use...

Second to Zeagle. They absolutely make one of the best quality BCs. We have a Zeagle Lazer, looking at the material they used (1000 denier nylon) and the finishing quality, there's no reason for it to not last a long long time. And it is very comfy in and out of water.

No offense to Mares, I do use some of their gear, but IMO they used too much "plastic" in their BCs. Personally, I'd go for practicality over fashion.

There is a great dive shop in Manassas, Virginia....http://www.virginiascuba.com/

Call them, ask about specific styles and sizes in stock, drive there, try them on, possibly rent them, use them in the real world, then decide based on real world touching, feeling and using.

Most likely asking here about which BC is best will turn into a huge argument that will eventually turn into another deeper argument about weather you even need a BC after all why not get a BP/W set up instead......

Good luck!

I dive a Zeagle Stiletto. It is a great travel BC, and my Warm water choice for diving. The only thing I would change is that I wish the DRings were adjustable, and it would be nice to have another DRing on the belt. Other than that, It's very adjustable, has a nice sized bladder, the pockets are not overly large but useful, and the weight integration pockets are large enough to accommodate a good amount of weight, and the fronts can hold a 10lbs weight which while some can handle that much lead, a lot can not do it with the 10lbs one piece size.

I'd recommend Zeagle to ANYONE. Adjustable fit, comfortable, functional, and one of the best backed BC's on the market from a customer service standpoint. Scott Zeagle is on the board, and he will respond usually within less than a day if you have questions or problems, and he can do so while singing an Allman Brothers Tune! :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom