Mares horizon: just add water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to get out more if you don't think there are female divers that can handle doubles just fine.

ROG...

You're missing the point...nothing to do with the divers ability to handle additional task loading...but everything to do with what Mares is advertising...as being available at dive destinations...and what you may have to settle for...your tank harness assemblies for 30's or 40's aren't going to do you much good if the local dive operator only has 80's...

If you're going to have to dive with double 80's...you're as well off diving side-mount...as most divers on ''hot beach OW charters'' are only going to be diving single 80's anyway...and as opposed to cleaning and drying your rebreather...you can be drinking those fancy island beverages...with the cherries and little umbrellas...

Also remembering the Horizon is 40 m rated...you won't be diving on any deep water tech charters with this unit...AOW only...

Best...

Warren

I agree with your points about the availability of small tanks, but your last line is unnecessary. A male diver is just as likely to say "F it" and sit on the beach sucking down coronas instead of putting on a SCR and double 80s.

ROG

I agree wholeheartedly...

Diving the Horizon with slung bottles and no other configuration would not suit me...I wouldn't want to dive it slinging two 40's...let alone two 80's...

Best...

Warren

Thank you Stuart...

I'll have to see if they have counter-lungs and installation kits for a rEvo III Standard Manual...

Best...

Warren

Stuart...

I just received a response back from AH...

rEvo counter-lungs are not available as parts for installation by user...and they are currently not certified to replace the rEvo counter-lungs...

Just as I had suspected...AH will be forwarding this work to OEO...as they are the only shop in the US...currently...with factory training certification...and a rEvo test chamber...

You know this is going to be the same with the Horizon...

Best...

Warren

If you're going to have to dive with double 80's...you're as well off diving side-mount...as most divers on ''hot beach OW charters'' are only going to be diving single 80's anyway...

Wait, why are we talking about double 80s for a recreational SCR? I mean, I guess it's possible that you could end up somewhere that didn't have 40s, but you would only need one tank either way, right?

Stuart...

I just received a response back from AH...rEvo counter-lungs are not available as parts for installation by user...just as I had suspected...AH will be forwarding this work to OEO...as they are the only shop in the US with a rEvo test chamber...

You know this is going to be the same with the Horizon...

Best...

Warren

Interesting. It was my understanding that they do rEvo servicing there. I wonder what things they do themselves and what things they send out to OE for.

It is also interesting that CLs are parts that are listed in the OE online store, with a price. But, you can't add them to your cart. But, you CAN add just about anything else. In fact, the CLs, the Apeks DS4 service kit, and an "elimination kit for Clippard MAV button" are the only things listed there that it appears you cannot buy directly. You can buy a cover, but you have to send in your old cover first.

I guess maybe AH could do everything themselves EXCEPT R&R CLs....?

Wait, why are we talking about double 80s for a recreational SCR? I mean, I guess it's possible that you could end up somewhere that didn't have 40s, but you would only need one tank either way, right?

Hey Doc...

Maybe...depending on how ''bailout'' is plumbed...the Horizon does appear to have a BOV...

Even so...if small tanks are not available at your travel destination...and plumbing will accept one tank for both NITROX and bailout...having to dive with a single 80 slung on one side is not ideal...

I know ''single'' side-mount is not unheard of but like everything else...it requires training...and practical application...

Also...less than ideal is diving with a single...small capacity...partially exhausted main NITROX tank and having to switch to bailout and make it 40 m to the surface safely...especially if you have stop obligations...worse still if your dry-suit inflation is plumbed into this small single main NITROX supply cylinder...

Independent bailout is far superior to either of the above...

If this unit is solely designed and advertised to be strictly ''no deco''...then whatever the cost is...it's hardly worth it...

Current advertising literature from Mares on the Horizon is vague to say the least...more questions than answers...

There is no cost information on Mares sites...who is currently certified to instruct on the unit...are SCR crossover courses available...

To whom and where does the unit need to go...to be serviced...are parts going to be available for self installation...and the list goes on...

Cart before the horse...with another ''new rebreather'' again...

What's the old saying about not planning to fail...but failing to plan...

Best...

Warren

Hey Doc...

Maybe...depending on how ''bailout'' is plumbed...the Horizon does appear to have a BOV...

Even so...if small tanks are not available at your travel destination...and plumbing will accept one tank for both NITROX and bailout...having to dive with a single 80 slung on one side is not ideal...

I know ''single'' side-mount is not unheard of but like everything else...it requires training...and practical application...

Also...less than ideal is diving with a single...small capacity...partially exhausted main NITROX tank and having to switch to bailout and make it 40 m to the surface safely...especially if you have stop obligations...worse still if your dry-suit inflation is plumbed into this small single main NITROX supply cylinder...

Independent bailout is far superior to either of the above...

If this unit is solely designed and advertised to be strictly ''no deco''...then whatever the cost is...it's hardly worth it...

Current advertising literature from Mares on the Horizon is vague to say the least...more questions than answers...

There is no cost information on Mares sites...who is currently certified to instruct on the unit...are SCR crossover courses available...

To whom and where does the unit need to go...to be serviced...are parts going to be available for self installation...and the list goes on...

Cart before the horse...with another ''new rebreather'' again...

What's the old saying about not planning to fail...but failing to plan...

Best...

Warren

I thought that was how it was designed. Single off board tank for feeding the SCR and for bailout.

This thing is not designed for any stops, and I’ll bet that it’s mainly going to be marketed to warm water divers, so not a lot of dry suit users.

I sling a single 80 all of the time side mount style, I don’t notice it.

I thought that was how it was designed. Single off board tank for feeding the SCR and for bailout.

This thing is not designed for any stops, and I’ll bet that it’s mainly going to be marketed to warm water divers, so not a lot of dry suit users.

I sling a single 80 all of the time side mount style, I don’t notice it.
Try checking out the link I posted earlier.
The Croatia site has more info than anywhere else. 1 bottle for no deco use, 2 bottles for deco use but still 40m limit. Two different class prices and agendas, depending on configuration desired.
Can’t find price or availability anywhere, but oddly enough I can already find instruction courses in Croatia.
Mares Horizon SCR

Just to let you guys know, the word is that the Horizon may not be available in the US until DEMA in November. If this stays true, it will provide debugging time before the US market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom