Mares horizon: just add water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO...

That's not the Horizon in the photo...and I'm unable to find anything else on that link relating to the Horizon...

Best...

Warren

Sorry guys. I messed up the link.

Here's a link to the page I found it on. The viewing settings are public so perhaps it will temporarily work:
https://facebook.com/Tauchmagazin/
Just a little pool play. (no affiliation to the video myself)

Cameron

Add Helium has probably sold and trained more divers on rEvos than anyone else. They keep a good supply of spare and replacement parts in stock. They will usually have anything you need with exception of anything that requires opening the case. Paul does not think the end user ever needs to open the case and thus those parts are only available from the Service Center during their service work.

Add Helium has probably sold and trained more divers on rEvos than anyone else. They keep a good supply of spare and replacement parts in stock. They will usually have anything you need with exception of anything that requires opening the case. Paul does not think the end user ever needs to open the case and thus those parts are only available from the Service Center during their service work.

DS...

I confirmed with Emilie at AH yesterday that they are not certified to re and re rEvo counter-lungs...

She further stated that they intend on sending one of their techs to Belgium in the near future to receive the training...

OEO has a rEvo proving test chamber...which I understand is the only one outside of Belgium...

OEO as I have stated in an earlier post want $1800 CDN which includes shipping to replace two $115 each counter-lungs...for a rEvo III Standard Manual...

Not just excessive...crazy excessive...and this has been my concern with the Horizon...as OEO has rEvo wrapped up tight in the US and Canada......if the same counter-lung replacement protocol is in place for the Horizon...you will spend 45%/50% of the cost of the unit to replace two $100 counter-lungs...

Best...

Warren

DS...

I confirmed with Emilie at AH yesterday that they are not certified to re and re rEvo counter-lungs...

She further stated that they intend on sending one of their techs to Belgium in the near future to receive the training...

OEO has a rEvo proving test chamber...which I understand is the only one outside of Belgium...

OEO as I have stated in an earlier post want $1800 CDN which includes shipping to replace two $115 each counter-lungs...for a rEvo III Standard Manual...

Not just excessive...crazy excessive...and this has been my concern with the Horizon...as OEO has rEvo wrapped up tight in the US and Canada......if the same counter-lung replacement protocol is in place for the Horizon...you will spend 45%/50% of the cost of the unit to replace two $100 counter-lungs...

Best...

Warren
How often do counterlungs need to get replaced?

How often do counterlungs need to get replaced?
In theory, not very often; but reality is a bitch sometimes. My original rEvo has been gutted 3 times since 2008 for repairs to the counterlungs. I have also done the same to 4 other units in the same time frame. It is a recommended thing every 5 years, thus the cost of a 5 year service.

I highly doubt that OEO has anything to do with the Horizon at all. Mares was well aware of the customers concern over this long before the Horizon was ever an idea.

In theory, not very often; but reality is a bitch sometimes. My original rEvo has been gutted 3 times since 2008 for repairs to the counterlungs. I have also done the same to 4 other units in the same time frame. It is a recommended thing every 5 years, thus the cost of a 5 year service.

I highly doubt that OEO has anything to do with the Horizon at all. Mares was well aware of the customers concern over this long before the Horizon was ever an idea.

D6...

What you say may be true...however...we're all speculating here because other than vague...minimal marketing information on Mares web site...nobody presently knows...

I have a rEvo III Standard Manual unit in my shop with a split seam on the inhalation counter-lung...re and re is not a complicated process...

Five year service interval is rEvo standard protocol for this portion of the unit...providing there is no premature failure...

This is all about ''control''...

Although I've never supported this practice...some enterprising individual is going to start selling MSR dromedary water bags with installation kits and instructions...modified to be a direct counter-lung replacement fit for rEvo rebreathers...I'm surprised it hasn't happened already...

Maybe once rEvo/OEO has lost their control...they'll rethink their business model...

As a full time SCR rebreather diver...I am certainly interested in a ''new product''...but I'm going to bow out for now until more information becomes available for the North American market...support...ease of service/maintenance...and ''easy/local'' parts access is every bit as important...if not more important than the Horizon rebreather itself...

Best...

Warren

can we see a pic of the revo in your "shop' ? im interested never seen that problem

I'll be offering Horizon SCR training up through instructor this year in N America. Mares/revo have been working on producing units and establishing a solid network of training and service globally which should make the community for these happy.

The units performed well for us in training, operation, and diving . The unit has a low WOB and breathes nice in different orientations, has a high flood tolerance due to the lung placement, in addition to a high quality BOV. The off-board gas concept benefits the travelling diver as they are not required to use only one type/sized tank so they can take the unit abroad with them.

Happy to answer questions.

Matt Marcoux

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom