Mares Genius?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone dived the Mares Genius yet?

The manual is available online. Are custom GFs available in rec and tec or tec only? What is the range for setting the custom GFs? In the presets, the highest GFs are 85/85 with an "advanced" option to increase to 90/90.

It is interesting that there are 5 different ways to additively increase conservatism from the baseline you have chosen, Physio, Dive, I Today, repetitive dives, and multiday. Fortunately, all can be turned off and that is the default

Although I have not dived with the Mares Genius, I have read the manual and I do like their approach to customise or personalise the gradient factors. I think its a logical introduction for new divers to become familiar with GF concept/approach. @scubadada as you are very familiar with the Scubalab reports, Mares computers have been known and ranked as one of the more conservative computers in the market (I personally don't consider this a negative), so like you, I too am interested in the range for setting the custom GF's.

My only real interest is learning the range of settings of the custom GFs, whether this is full range, or is truncated at 90%

Implementing any of the personal factors will only make the computer more conservative, this will not harm anyone. If one chooses the maximum conservative setting for Physio, Dive, and I Today, the GFhigh and GFlow will both be reduced by 54%! Implementing Repetitive Dives and Multiday will reduce this a bit further.

If one chooses the maximum conservative setting for Physio, Dive, and I Today, the GFhigh and GFlow will both be reduced by 54%!
While the maximum settings are extreme, if selected, what is this telling the diver and his buddy?
  1. Physio - I am in the worse condition of my life
  2. Dive - the sea conditions today are atrocious and may be dangerous
  3. I Today - drank all night and didn't get any sleep
So in reality, maybe its not such a good idea to dive...

To answer your question; just based on Mares leaning towards conservatism, I suspect it truncates at 90% but it would be good to know the definitive answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom