Mares Fins with ABS buckle....ouch! am I doing something wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregA2k6

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just bought my first pair of fins...Mares Quattro ABS. It has the ABS buckle system. Now...I'm finding this buckle REALLY hard to open. I have TRIPLE checked that I have the ABS switch in the correct position. I have carved up my fingers a few times getting them open. Is there a trick I am missing?

Thanks for any advice!

use your finger and thumb in oposition, just be careful to keep your fingers out of the mechanism. They loosen up over time and get easier to open. I couldn't do them at all at first.

I just hook my thumb behind it... push forward and pull out. Had trouble the first few times also. - chris

They stick, but loosen up over time. Also, they are easier to manipulate when wet. One thing I have noticed is that I don't ever try to open them without gloves on. I have lifted a couple of fingernails that way, ouch!

I have the same problems with theese. Ive worn them well over 100 times and they still arent getting any easier. Ive hurt my hand and cut myself a few times on them. i want to get different buckles but i keep forgetting.

The Best way to open them is opening when your gloves are on your fingers,
though being so hard, I find them very good

I changed the buckles & straps to the ones that are found on the Oceanic V12s..........
No more problems...........

Here is the solution.

1. Remove straps from both fins.
2. Place just removed straps in box.
3. Place box in garage or closet.
4. Mount new spring straps.
5. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom