Mares ESA Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Fellow Underwater Denizons:

Sometime ago a few of us complained about leaks in the Mares ESA mask. Well, I returned mine to the dive shop where I bought it and they exchanged it for an "improved" one. I have no idea what the "improvement" was (if any).

However, I dove with it over 30 times with absolutely no leaks! So, it is now my prime mask again. I really like the extra windows--even though it is a high volume mask. I dove off Saba with it and did lots of dives to 120-130 feet with no problems...

I am not "endorsing" the ESA, but letting you know that for now I am a fan. I will keep you informed if it goes south again. If there others out there with recent experience, I would appreciate a heads up.

Joewr

I have owned 2 ESA masks. Both of them havaehad the leaking problem you mention.

I live in Mexico and those masks are not very popular, so I had not had the chance to compare "notes" with anyone, however, when my second mask cracked in the very same spot my first one did, and I happened to hear of 2 other people who had that very same thing happen to them. I love my ESA mask (or did) and would really like to buy another one, I just would not like to risk another 120 bucks down the drain. (my first one lasted 10 or so dives while my second lasted over 300).

any suggestions?? what would you do if you were me.

Ali,

I do not know what to say! My mask did not crack, but it did leak around the edges of the lenses. I am extremely careful with my new one. I always carry it in its case--including to the dive boat. I always hang it on my BC after a dive. I basically handle it with kid gloves. I do not know if that is necessary, but so far, so good. I have just 40 dives on this one, but the first lasted about as long as your first: ca, 10 dives. However, on one of those dives I got kicked on the mask. That had happened before when I used other masks and I experienced no leaks. In fact, after my ESA started leaking I returned to my previous mask which had been through a lot of dives and some abuse at the feet of people who were not looking where they were going; and it has never leaked.

My dealer returned the "defective" one to Mares. I suggest you try contacting them on their web site if your dealer will not give you satisfaction.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

joewr

hey, thanks a lot for your promt answer. I will try what you say.

I do not mean my cracked because something hit it, it has a hair line type fracture from the inside of the hard plastic around the front lenses. I am more careful with my mask than any other type of equipment. on plane trips, I take it on the carry on. I am positive this is not a break due to misstreatment since all 4 ESAs I have seen with the problem have this fractures in the very same spot.

thanks anyways

Mares ESA masks are extremely delicate. They must be cared for like a newborn baby. DO NOT DROP ON HEAD! (Not that I am saying that you would.)

The plastic glasses and framework tend to give out after use, etc. Please, please, take it to your lds and let them plead your case. They ,usually, can have it taken care of and get you a new mask and stretch the truth if you come in often or every one in awhile.

If that doesn't happen, please let me know; I may be able to get you a new mask.

Thanks!

dear kbc

thanks a lot. I will try with the local dealer as you suggest. I do not know if he will be able to help me though since mares does not really have a big representative here in Mexico.

I appreciate your offer and will make sure to let you know.

ali

it's funny I should run into this thread now... I was just talking about my mask today... I spend about $120 on it, and haven;t used it much becasue it was always leaks... turns out it's a well known problem with this mask. Now, the shop that I bought it from is out of business (Central Skin Diver in New York), so I can't return it to them, went on mares website and as pretty as the website is, I found no way to contact them? maybe I wasn;t looking hard enough, but I saw no obvious cusomer support feedback page that would have their contact information. Anyone knows how I can possible contcat the manif. directly and perhaps have them fix/exchange my mask?

Thanks,
-V

I tried a mares esa and an X-vision before buying a new mask.
IMHO I think the X-vision has a better downward view then the esa... for 1/3 the price.

try both before you buy one, or if you have a leaking esa, ask your dealer if they can prorate you a new x-vision and some other gear.... :confused:

Hi,
I've got a mares esa for about 6 years now. The first thing I did was removing the glasses, wondering how they are sealed. Thereby I damaged some little protrusions on one of the retainers, so that the mask leaked from the very beginning. So don't remove the retainers if not necessary!

Later I fixed the leaking. I removed the retainer, glass and seal and put thin lines of clear silicone (my esa is clear) in the frame where the seals are lying. Then I've covered the seal completely with silicone and put it into place. Then I've put the glass on the seal and filled the gap between the glass and the frame with silicone. Then I've put thin lines of silicone on the retainer and clicked it back in frame. This window is now absolutely waterproof.

Don't put too much silicone in the frame and on the retainer, better a little bit more on the seal. Avoid any contact of silicone to the visible part of the glass, it's hard to remove. Don't touch the glass with silicone fingers! Get some help from another person. Make some tests on other things to get a feeling for the amount of silcone you need. Cut off some overflowing silicone when it's hardened with a really sharp knife.

You can buy the silicone in a building center or do-it-yourself store. (Sorry, I'm not sure with the words as I'm German.)

Good luck :)

tuti

VTernovski,

The Mares HQ in the US is in Norwalk CT (Mares America Corporation). Mares America Corporation is the distribution HQ for Mares and Dacor in the US, and this is where the LDSs gets their products and parts from.

The main number is: (203) 855-0631.

I've called Mares HQ on 2 occasions in the past to verify that my LDS was lying to me regarding warrantee coverage, and the date they ordered a part for my regulator.

Back
Top Bottom