Mares Air Lock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
If you are not strong enough to properly tighten a standard cam-band (or a SP "super cinch", etc.) then either "get strong" or "get out".

And another constructive comment. Thanks mate, your wonderful input is very much appreciated.

Um Iglo - without trying to provoke yet another reaction - rather than spend $200 on something you need only because you have a poor BC design (only one cam band, no rubber backing, etc.) and a pony bracket... have you considered...

... wait for it now...

getting a new BC and either losing the pony (which I would advocate) or slinging the pony like a stage bottle, thus solving both of your problems?????

Well, a new BCD would be nice, but I'd be up for at least 4 times the price of the airlock and there's no way my better half is going to approve that.

I could dump the pony as you suggest but why would I want to do that?
The pony is IMO the best form of life insurance a recreational diver like myself can have. Why would you advocate losing it, I'm very interested in your POV.

As for slinging the pony, I haven't tried, but I don't think I want to deal with the extra clutter. My current setup is 2 first stages and 2 second stages (dumped the octo) so once on my back, the pont really doesn't add any clutter. maybe a small amount of drag, but that isn't a concern.

igoRluse:
Well, I'm considering an airlock to resolve my problems. I could be qualified as a big strong type and have tried it all to prevent my tank from slipping but nothing works it just keeps happening once in a while.

I don't think that it a matter of strength it’s more a matter of technique.

The problem is worse on new straps as they are not “stretched” yet.

First, get the strap wet.

Secondly, tighten it with a rocking motion on the cam to pull it tight. This is hard to describe but easy to demonstrate.

Third, after it has sat for a while, say 10-15 minutes and the strap has stretched, retighten it. The third step is the one most often missed; but if you think about it for a minute it makes sense.

I’ve never seen the tank slip on a diver that has followed these three simple steps.

As to the pony, stages sling it.

Mike

There are lots of pony discussions, some of which are currently very active, so I'd suggest a search. Suffice it to say, I have at least an AL80 for a pony that I use on every dive. That's pretty heavy to sling around, so I get a guy to put it on his back and dive along beside me. I'd recommend a search, because this isn't the thread for pony discussions.

And if you're paying $800 for a decent BC, you're paying about $300 too much. Heck, a top of the line Halcyon BP/Wing is only $505.

Boogie711:
And if you're paying $800 for a decent BC, you're paying about $300 too much. Heck, a top of the line Halcyon BP/Wing is only $505.

Sorry, talking in local currency. The airlock costs 190 australian dollars (140 USD) while a decent BCD costs about 800 australian dollars.

igoRluse:
Sorry, talking in local currency. The airlock costs 190 australian dollars (140 USD) while a decent BCD costs about 800 australian dollars.
That's absolutely insane. $600 US for a BC?
That's about double what it could be put together for with some careful online shopping, and a wing/backplate would be much better suited for slinging the pony.

Think about what would happen if you went to use your back-mounted pony and it wasn't available because of a leaking o-ring (or leaking reg).
Wouldn't you rather have it in front where you can see any bubbles?

Well that's the price here for a nice BCD.

As I've already said I'm a recreational diver and I don't want to bother with the clutter of a slinged pony. If my pony was to leak to a point that could affect it's usefulness in a case of emergency, my buddy would definitely notice it if I didn't. I always dive with the same buddy who also carries a back mounted pony. That's 4 independant air sources for the 2 of us, so I think the almost insignificant risk justifies not being bothered with a slinged pony.

Now, from another point of view, if the pony is on my back with the valve open and an o-ring bursts, if I don't notice it myself, chances are my buddy will. In that case we would stick together and abort the dive. Now if I carry the pony slinged with the valve closed, then an emergency happens... Bugger, where's my buddy? Wait, all good I've got my pony... Open the valve... P****tt, o-ring bursts and pony empties itself in a few secs. Now I'm in trouble. Who says your o-ring has more chances failing with the valve open then with the valve closed? At least if your valve is open, chances are you'll know about it right away and be able to abort the dive while you still have air in your primary air source.

Just something to think about.

igoRluse:
As I've already said I'm a recreational diver and I don't want to bother with the clutter of a slinged pony.
So am I, and I don't bother with a slinged pony. With a buddy, it is unneeded, and only adds to clutter and drag. My buddy is always within arm's reach, and we make eye contact every few seconds. The probability that we will both experience regulator failure is so remote that the possibility of the resulting CESA is acceptable... and at the worst case, we're talking a CESA from 80-100ft, in most cases 30-60. The biggest problem to deal with if we were both to have reg failures would be the crawl through the kelp on the surface to get back to the boat.

Sure, 4 air sources is better than 2, but (like the AirLock), you reach the pont of diminishing returns at the expense of increased cost and complexity without a VERY good reason for it. If your recreational profiles are such that 4 air sources are required, then a better solution would be manifolded doubles. You would have four independent regulators, yet 100% of your gas would be available from either reg should there be a failure.

And I didn't say that the slung pony would be shut off. :)
With a true pony rigged like a stage, where the dive would not violate the MOD gas contained within, I would leave it on. The purpose of turning off the slung bottle is to prevent the possibility of accidentally breathing the wrong mix at depth... a non-issue for rec dives unless you're using a pony with EAN40 in it. Even then, technically, you could CESA to 80ft, or push the limit and get on it at 100, or push your luck and use it from 130.

But if you are diving with a buddy, then there's really no need for the pony.

Back
Top Bottom