Mares Air Lock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lau8

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Mares Air Lock tank strap with other BCD like Scubapro's Knighthawk? seems like a good idea and take away a lot of headache of adjusting the tank strap each time diving wiht a different tank size.

(not to be confused with the Mares Air Trim)

Regular camstraps work fine for 99.999% of the divers out there. Why replace something as simple as a strap with an air-operated device that just introduces a new failure point for lazy divers?

What sort of effect would shore diving have on it? Sand gets everywhere if it's a rough entry/exit. Sand won't ruin a camstrap.

If you're diving rental tanks, most of the time (in Monterey at least) you're going to be diving 7.25" tanks - either LP80s on a charter, or AL80s from a dive shop. Take the money you'd spend on the AirLock and put it towards investing in your own tank.

I just don't see the point. It seems like an unnecessary convolution that attempts to fix a problem that doesn't exist. The only place I see for it is possibly for someone that has a medical condition that prevents the use of regular cam bands.

Hmmm from Mares.

I guess that sums it up!

Anyone need a refesher on how to thread and adjust a cam?

May be that is why the scuba industry is still backward as compare to other industry (like aerospace). What is wrong with having something that make your equipment setup easier and faster or more efficient. Especially if it's a young diver or is handicap. Embrace the technology. Otherwise we will still be driving a model T, and using smoke signal instead of cell phone or GPS.

I'm not interested in your opinion if you haven't even use it at all.

Lau8 once bubbled...
May be that is why the scuba industry is still backward as compare to other industry (like aerospace). What is wrong with having something that make your equipment setup easier and faster or more efficient. Especially if it's a young diver or is handicap. Embrace the technology. Otherwise we will still be driving a model T, and using smoke signal instead of cell phone or GPS.

It's not about embracing technology, it's about the voice of experience. Many of us have been there, done that with all the new whiz bang doo dads and just trying to save you the aggravation of spending hard earned money on a bunch of useless $#!+

Take the advice or discard it as you see fit.

Lau8 once bubbled...

I'm all for technology. I'm the biggest gear geek there is, but complicating something as simple as a strap with a mechanical pneumatic device that offers no apparent benefit is silly.

One need not be an expert to be a respected critic.
One need not have used a piece of equipment to know that it is overly complex.

The H.U.B. for example.

Remove the regulator assembly from the "HUB", hook it to a tank, try to dive it with a conventional BC, and I guarantee you that very few DM's would let you in the water with it.

When the goal is to survive under water, simplicity is king. Complexity introduces failure points.
Failure leads to required problem solving.
Required problem solving CAN lead to panic.
Panic can lead to death or injury.

And yes... I'm one of those a-holes who happens to believe that NOT everybody should be diving. If a person is not physically able to cinch down a cam-band, then they are not going to be physically able to assist me if I have a serious problem and require rescue.

jonnythan hit it on the head. Don't introduce complexity.

Just saw that these were your first two posts, welcome to ScubaBoard Lau8. Did I misread your post or were you from San Francisco? I just moved back home after living there for a little over 2 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom