Mares Air Lock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but in all sincerity, your post reveals at least three reasons to avoid having this contraption.

1. expense
2. unnecessary complexity
3. failure point

These factors are precisely what I'm trying to eliminate from my diving.

Boogie711:
But then, you say:

So - I guess you're unclear as to the concept of a failure point? In any event, I still maintain the airlock is highly unnecessary, and a solution to a non-existent problem.

Well... no, I think what you want to say is that we both have a different interpretation of what adding a failure point means. I said that if the airlock malfunctions, the dive is over, just as you could say if your cam breaks, your dive is over. I am replacing the cam with an airlock. Of course you'll say that the cam is a proven solution and that it won't break, and I agree. But what my post was trying to say, is that now that I have used the airlock, I am confident it won't break either.

Anyway, I'll give an update in 6 months.

igoRluse:
...just as you could say if your cam breaks, your dive is over.

No it's not. I have double cam bands. :shakehead

Cyklon is right - I think you just proved us all correct - a totally unnecessary expense, extra complexity, and a failure point.

Have fun with it. It won't ever appear on my gear, but go nuts.

Fact: The best solution for any given task involves the simplest plan put into action that achieves the desired goal or outcome.

This is true in engineering as well. The number of parts, their simplicity, and their related stresses all combined define whether or not a piece of equipment will have a more or less chance of failure. Anything with metal to metal contact will wear in time and be a potential failure point.

A cam is a simple rudimentary leverage device. There is no ratcheting and no pressure exerted on it once closed. There are only three parts: the strap, the ring, the cam buckle. These three parts are each simple, and the stresses placed on them are temporary and light. There is no lubrication, disassembly for inspection, or metal to metal contact; therefore, there is no maintenance needed. Based on the light stresses placed on the components, the materials are overkill in their ability to withstand this pressure and produces virtually no wear. Typically, only replacing the strap itself due to dryrot is needed. With proper storage, this is alleviated.

The air lock contains an air valve, a ratchet, a gear, a housing, a pressure relieve valve, o-rings, etc... An air valve inherently will wear due to salt deposits and wear on the o-rings. Any pneumatic device will leak in time. This requires maintenance. Any device that requires maintenance is a failure point. The ratchet and gear are a source for deposit build up since they are located inside a housing. This makes it difficult to clean and difficult for visual inspection. This creates a need for maintenance and a failure point. A gear and rachet need to be lubricated to prevent wear. This creates maintenance and a failure point.

This device is small, but all parts combined, make a complex device requiring maintenance. While it works out of the box very well, after many dives one of two things will happen: 1. You will spend additional time maintaining the device. -or- 2. You will neglect the maintenance of the device and it will leak or fail causing your tank to slip.

Since you were trying to keep your tank from slipping in the first place, you will be required to disassemble the device periodically (annually with most complex scuba equipment) and inspect it, lube it, and replace worn parts. Your $90 camstrap replacement has an upkeep cost of labor and parts in order to keep it functioning.

Most camstrap slippage is due to improper threading of the strap through the buckle, not getting the strap wet prior to mounting, and not adjusting the strap in the buckle between dives. This requires no tools, no grease, no shop labor to perform.

Want to use Nitrox, better have that gizzmo O2 cleaned and ready before you pump it tight with your mix. More $'s, because I doubt it comes that way from Mares.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom