Mares Abyss 22 or 52

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sevans16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have narrowed down my search for a regulator. The only differentce I see between the two models is about 4oz?? Does that make any difference?? I am thinking no but wondering if anyone has wished for a lighter equipment load when flying(maybe)??
I am also wondering about the various generations of the 22 first stage?? Seems confusing.

The MR22 has been the top Mares 1st stage for about 20 years and the only difference is the shape of the yoke and knob, seat material and orifice.....spherical cone seat, removable orifice, "ruby" seat. The 32,42 and 52 have some brass shaved off the outside to make them lighter.
There's no performance advantage of one over another.
Same applies to the Abyss 2nd stage......different purge covers and one made out of carbon fiber, again all perform the same.

There is also difference in LP ports. 22 has one highflow (DFC) port, 52 has two.

Yes, just saw that.
They also seem to have put the DFC ports in the right place now on the 52.....in front of the regular LP port.

Yes so you can connect both primary and secundary 2nd stage.

But in my experiance dfc is just antoher marketin gimmick and it only makes more difficult finding right hoses.

Dfc was always on the right place :) because on the older models they were using stiff hoses and it was easiet routin this way. 52 comes with high flex hose, so now you can use front port.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

the mr42 is very diffrent than the 22 and 32 it is much smaller. the 32 is the same insides as a 22 and same dry cap but shaved down a little in weight. as you have seen the 52 is diffrent yet with 2 dfc ports

You can't go wrong with either the 22 or 52 first stage combined with the Abyss second stage. Both are superior regulators. The 52 due to its recent release will make more of an impression on other divers who know Mares equipment, as we haven't seen too many in use yet. The 22 will show other divers that you know and respect the great designs that Mares engineers are capable of producing. Get the one that appeals to you the most.

You can't go wrong with either the 22 or 52 first stage combined with the Abyss second stage. Both are superior regulators. The 52 due to its recent release will make more of an impression on other divers who know Mares equipment, as we haven't seen too many in use yet. The 22 will show other divers that you know and respect the great designs that Mares engineers are capable of producing. Get the one that appeals to you the most.

so what does that say about my set with a carbon primary, proton ice extreme octo on a what was a v32(upgraded to the new tri material valve so its a mr32 guts now) and dry cwd kit. its my favorite reg set currently.

@c5diver

Carbon Abyss, Proton ICE and V32, eh?

I suppose that it shows that you are a Mares connoisseur, as you have a very nice cold water setup, appropriate for Michigan diving.

It beats my own MR12 with liquid silicone cwd and proton primary and octo all to hell.

Also according to Miss Cloe the psychic, your choice of a Carbon Abyss combined with a cwd equipped V32 indicates a warm and fuzzy temperament, liberal leaning political views, and a fear of deep personal commitments. Your horoscope indicates that now may be the time to try a new challenge and that you have a better than average chance at finding true love during the upcoming blue moon (second full moon in a month).

Last edited:
I bought the Abyss 22 as my first regulator, for myself and my wife. We love them, but we are really comparing them to rentals we used over the years. I can't imagine how it could get much lighter, so I guess the 4oz is somewhat negligible.

Back
Top Bottom