Mares 15 liter steel tank characteristics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up again, but does anyone know anything about the bouyancy characteristics of the Mares 15 liter steel tank?

It is the most common steel tank in Israel, but I am having a hard time getting any numbers on it.

Ari :)

Hi Ari (Nice name you have :) ),

I am also looking for info on this specific tank... Did you find anything about it?

The most important thing I need to know is the weight of an empty white (there are black, zinc coated tanks also) 1999 Mares 15liter tank. Who is the manufacturer would also help.

Thanks,

Here, Mares distributes tanks manufactured by Heiser, headquarters in Austria.

The Heiser tanks have a reputation for being very heavy and negatively buoyant. They are not drawn from billets as are US made tanks but are made from industrial pipe which is spun, necked, plugged and cut off to size. The bottoms are very thick and the overall length is increased by about two inches to allow for the plug. Basically, they are storage tanks being marketed for SCUBA. Mares USA tanks are painted only, according to their website.

Visual the shoulder of the tank to see if it says 'Heiser' or has a manufacturer's code.

Pesky

I did not have a lot of luck getting the actual Mares numbers, other than the gross weight you can find on their website.

Nevertheless, as these tanks are manufactured by Heiser (so I learn), you can find the data by going to http://www.diverlink.com/gear/tankspecifications.htm and looking for that tank.

I will be at Dugit tomorrow morning and let you know if I find anything new.

pescador775: I know the Heiser tanks. I bought one branded by ScubaPro and returned it. It was a 15liter tank of empty weight of 21kg !! I felt like I was carrying a semi trailer on my back...

Ari: I am 99% sure those 1999 white 15liter Mares steel tanks are not Heiser. I am almost sure they were Faber. Can you PLEASE ask about it when you are in Dugit? As I said, I would like to know who is the manufacturer and the most important is what is their empty weight. (I think, not sure, around 16kg).

Thanks!

Ace,

I did the math (imperial to metric) and what I believe you have is a Faber style HP 15 liter tank (120 cu/ft). This tank is rated at 220 bars with a 10 % overfill. It's mass is 20.6 K/gm empty and is -7.5 k/gm negative when full and - 3.5 k/gm negative when empty.

It is by far the heaviest tank shown on my chart. I have one that I purchased for a song from a small women who could not use it due to its weight. I still use it. It is wonderful with a dry suit and because it is 72.6 Cm in length it rides nicely on my rear end which balances out the slight positive bouyancy of of the legs and feet.

I ran the numbers on other LP tanks and the one you describe does appear to be a Faber tank.

Hey BILLB,

Yep, indeed. I think you are right. The description you gave fits perfectly to the tank I had and sold. Here in Israel, even in mid winter in the mediteranean water temperature goes down to 15c (59f). Therefor I use a 5mil wetsuit (Scubapro silverskin) with a hooded vest. That tank IS WAY TOO HEAVY for this configuration. Even though I am almost sure it was not a Faber...

Lately in Israel there is difficulty to find 15 liter steel tanks. There is some kind of a problem with the standards institute.

I am in search of a tank that will be close in caracteristcs to that 15 liter white 1999 Mares tank. It was just perfect. That is why I am looking for info on it...

Did you try to look for used tanks in Dugit or Snapir? I know that used tanks pop-up in the Israeli diving forums in Tapuz and Nana from time to time.

Are you sure that that tank you had was 21 kg? Sounds a little too much to me. And why should you care? You just have to wear less weight.

I will ask tomorrow at Dugit and give you a call. Please send me you phone # in the private massege section.

Yep, Amit from Snapir is looking for one in good condition and in the right price for me. I haven't looked for for one in Dugit. I do follow the forums but I haven't come accross something worthwhile.

Yes, it was 21kg WHEN EMPTY! To that you have to add the weight of the air which I believe was uhhmm... 2 or 2.5kg more but I am not sure. How do I know its weight? It is imprinted on the tank. You can go and look at those heavyweight tanks at Snapir... he has two of them used for sale and a few new.

What do I care about the weight??? Less weight on the belt?? What about NO WEIGHTS at all?? Listen, bottom line, I don't have a problem diving with it, I just didn't enjoy the dive with that tank at all. With 2 to 5mil suits the weight distribution for me was not comfortable. And that brings me back to those Mares tanks... even though they have bad reputation (rust problems etc..) I just loved it...

I sent you my mobile phone... Did you find anything about it at Dugit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom