March Diving in Florida East or West Side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlashOver

Reaction score
Well the first thing I need to find out is which side would I have a better chance at good weather the first week of march. I have heard the Gulf side is better at this time of year. My wife and I are coming down for bike week and after that we are going to get our open water certifications.

So far we have found the Certifications for $150 each with referal and diving in Boca Grand or Venice Beach around March 7 or 8th. We are doing our PADI course at the end of this month so all we need is the 4 open water dives.

I could really use some help in choosing a Good place to get my open water and the best place to maximize our chances for a good dive experience. We will be in Daytona on March 6th the heading out to wherever in Florida that we find is a really good place to go.

Thanks

If you're going through a PADI OW course now, you should plan for the east coast in March, better yet, head for Key Largo. The west coast will be there when you have more experience.

Well the thing is we are only doing the open water at this time. We are actually more focused on the first part of our trip which will be be the bike races in daytona. However we are planning a pretty big dive trip for our anniversary somewhere in Mexico or the Virgin Islands later this spring.

However we want to just get our open water certs out of the way. To be honest I have been all over Florida and the keys where the only place I really enjoyed snorkling.

So all we are really concerned about is the best conditions to hopefully get decent clarity and working with a quality instructor. Unfortunatly we are driving on this trip so Key Largo is a bit far since this is not going to be a really long vacation. We are making this one a short one, just preperation for the bigger vactions we will be taking this spring, summmer, and fall.

Shouldnt be too far from Daytona down to somewhere on the SE coast, like Jupiter or WPB or somewhere that you can do your certs. You could also do them in one of the lakes or springs if you dont mind fresh water.
I dont know if the viz improves in march for the west coast, but at the moment it is rubbish (inches if not zero). The diving is pretty shallow for a good long way out - probably have to take a boat ride to somewhere to checkout and see anything, but the reason it would be harder for a new person, particularly when taking OW classes/checkouts is that you wont be able to see each other. The east coast is probably closer to you, not the keys, than the west coast and has better viz a lot more often than the gulf.

We did our checkouts in LK Denton, the viz was 8ft both times and that felt pretty close at the time to avoid almost tripping over each other during the "skills" portions of the dives. I would check out dive options inland or on the east coast - there are plenty of LDS's that will do either of those. I wont refer you to my old LDS that i used for OW as i dont think i got a good education from them - mostly due to the teaching on the confined water skills, but i am not pushing anyone their way!

I would seriously check out your options somewhere other than the west coast!

That does help a lot and I know my wife does not care much for water that is not all that clear. I would prefer a nice area in the ocean to dive but I would venture to do it in a spring or something of that nature if it has better visibility.

What about water temp's around that time? I will be using my 3mm suit and looking at getting my wife a 3mm with a liner for extra warmth. We might just rent her something a little warmer like a 5mm since I am not as cold natured as she is.

Eeeeks I called them and the price was around $300 per person which is more expensive than going with my local dive shop which they include lodging and equipment in their prices. I am going to start searching for dive shops along the east coast and see if I can get someone a little cheaper.

Well I am now looking into just going to Blue Gratto or Devils Den and getting the open water certs there in the springs. Since it does stay at a pretty consistent temp and visibility.

Waiting to hear back to get a price.

I was going to suggest Ginny or Blue Grotto. You know you won't get blown out with wind, no one will get seasick, and you can see for a mile. Not much to see, but if you just want to get your cert done.... there's plenty to see later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom