March 12th Tenneco Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padipro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
American Dream II is doing Tenneco Towers on their afternoon trip this Saturday. I'm planning on being there. If anyone is interested in going give them a call.

Calander Link

:15a: I have to work..... <sniffle, sniffle>

baitedstorm:
:15a: I have to work..... <sniffle, sniffle>
work?!? work!?!
that excuse doesn't sound right coming from you!

American Dream is the boat to use for that dive. Parrot Island did it this afternoon, but that's one long run down from Hillsboro Inlet. When the Lady Go Diver does it from Deerfield, that must seem like a deployment.

blondey:
work?!? work!?!
that excuse doesn't sound right coming from you!

I'm not set up to usually work the weekends but being that I'm the new chick on the boat, the captain wants me to hang out with the crew and get a feel for the way he likes things done. At least I'll still be diving. Blow some bubble around the towers for me <sob>, I love that dive <sob>

Well no one missed much. Krista and I had a good time diving and as always Capt Todd and the crew of American Dream II were the best. We were a little late getting off the dock as we were waiting for a couple of people that couldn't figure out how to work an alarm clock. The weather was great, 75 degrees, no clowds, light breeze from the south west and the seas were 2 to 3 foot rollers.

The dive was another matter completely. The vis sucked, maybe 30 foot tops. Lights were required to see anything at or near the bottom even though it was a clear sunny day out. The current was moving pretty good near the surface but thank God it was light at depth. We dropped to the bottom with Krista in the lead and spent a good amount of time in the 80 to 90 foot range swimming under and through the structure. As the computers started beeping, warning us of the fast approaching deco status we moved up the tower to the upper platform for a good look around. As always the marine life was fantastic. I noticed that we seemed to be the only two around and I started thinking that I couldn't remember seeing anyone else for some time and that maybe we should start looking for the anchor line and start our ascent. We made our way back to the far corner of the platform where the line was tied off and started heading up. Again I didn't see anyone on the wreck or the line. As we moved shallower the current started to get stronger. By the time we were at our safty stop it was like nothing I'd ever seen before. I've been in some pretty strong currents here in South Florida but this was crazy, it was a surging current. One second it was nearly calm then it would hit you like a ton of bricks may 2 or 3 knots strong then just as fast it was back to calm. It was tough to hang on to the line and both Krista and I said later that we were afraid to turn our heads for fear that the current would rip our mask off or at least cause it to flood. I was facing directly into it once and it was like sticking you face in front of some of those out flows in Jenny Springs. My regulator would free flow everytime the surge would come, my hood would inflate like a balloon and it was all I could do to hangon. Absolutely crazy!!! As it turned out we were the only two left in the water because the captain was already giving his breifing on the second dive when we climbed onboard. I love those HP100's.

We desided to skip the second dive as K was cold and my primary first stage reg was free flowing a little bit on it's own. (Note to self, bring the regs in for servicing) We broke down our gear, climbed up to the upper deck and enjoyed some nice warm sun. Most of the people on board said they should have followed our lead and skipped the second dive as they were really cold. The first ones back on the boat were maybe in the water 20 minutes.

All in all it was a nice day with a good boat and crew and some great company. The dive wasn't much to speak of but we had fun and that's what matters.

So, we're all going back there when it warms up a tad, right?

Marvel:
So, we're all going back there when it warms up a tad, right?

Most definately we will. I was nice and warm yesterday in my dry suit though. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom