March '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBDiveGirl:
Thanks for the nice dive report, Laurel. And Congratulations on dive #450!:dazzler1:
Keep on Diving Happy!
Claudette

Ok, maybe not...

Thanks! Only 50 more by August to keep with my 100/year deal....hahaha

Seriously, please oh gods of diving, please let conditions remain visable and waveless, so that I will no longer be a dive boat brat. I miss the days of beach diving and relish lack of surf. Please div gods, if you care, let there be sun...at least this week while I odn't have to work....HAHAHHAHAHA

So, who's up for the Peace this Thursday? SO far, I think there's 5 scubaboarders! It's gonna be fun!!!!

scubalaurel:
Ok, maybe not...

Thanks! Only 50 more by August to keep with my 100/year deal....hahaha

Seriously, please oh gods of diving, please let conditions remain visable and waveless, so that I will no longer be a dive boat brat. I miss the days of beach diving and relish lack of surf. Please div gods, if you care, let there be sun...at least this week while I odn't have to work....HAHAHHAHAHA

So, who's up for the Peace this Thursday? SO far, I think there's 5 scubaboarders! It's gonna be fun!!!!
whoa 100 a year? I want to do 34 more dives before my one year certification anniversary July 5. That'll put me at 50.

John

SNOBORDJON:
whoa 100 a year? I want to do 34 more dives before my one year certification anniversary July 5. That'll put me at 50.

John

Well, so far. My average thus far has been 100 year, from August to August. Most are usually in the winter, but this winter has changed that. I only have 20 dives since October. Boat diving is the way to get the numbers up, that's for sure. It much easier to get 3-4 dives in a day. Do three or four boat dives a month, and 100 is no problem. Of course, my first two years of diving, only about 20 dives were from a boat. I was doing 3-4 beach dives a week back then. I'm smarter (and lazier) now! :wink:

l

Laurel,

I wish I had the money (and the time off work) to do 3-4 boat dives a month!! Course the military doesnt really give ya much of either.. HA! Besides, Pasley made me appreciate the great fun of Shore diving today (report to follow)....

Claudette,

I am up for diving any time I have some time off of work.... I dont do a whole lot with my free time except take my puppy to the dog park, so just let me know when you are planning on going out.... I just finished my first 2 REAL dives since certification last weekend, and I am hooked like you would not believe....

As for the wrinkles dive, unfortunately, that is the weekend I work but I would love to go... I looked at the websites and it definitely looks like its gonna be a great time.... I will definitely come to next month's wrinkles dive if I have the time off.... Thanks for the invite though.... :crafty:

Date: Mar 28, 2005
Dive Location: Crescent Bay, Laguna Beach CA
Time: 1:46 PM
Bottom Time: 36:10
Max Depth: 41 FSW
Vis: 10-15 (mostly 10)
Wave height: 1-2 feet
Temp at depth: 59 SUUNTO Degrees
Surface Temp: 61 SUUNTO Degrees
Tide information: High: 10:43 AM 3.8 Feet LOW: 4:02 PM 1.4 ft
Comments:
Took Seth aka Striker from scuba board out on this first post certification dive. With the swell model showing 1-2 feet we went to Crescent bay for some nice easy beach dives and a bit of change of scenery from Shaw’s cove where he had already done 2 dives in his BOW. We arrived a bit after 12:00 noon and went down to the water and discussed dive procedures, hand signals, and the dive plan while we watched the water for 20 minutes or so to get a feel for the situation. Waves were in the 1 foot range at the North west end of the cove over by the cliff and 2-3 feet at the South entrance. Out by Seal Rock the swells were a bit bigger with wind waves kicking up some whitecaps and such making a dive on Seal Rock not on the table for today.

We entered the water easily with no real waves to deal with between sets and did a surface swim out to the end of the reef coming out from shore. We started over towards Seal Rock in the 2-3 foot swells. After we were about a 1/5 of the way there, we stopped and did a final check and drifted back east of the reef coming out from shore. We dropped down and swam into the current with about 2-3 foot surge as originally planned towards the reef and explored in the direction of Seal Rock for about 1/3 the distance and then turned the dive.

Spotted a nice size octopus in a crevice and he soon came out of his hole to show off his full size of about 18 inches to 2 feet and give Seth a better view of him. We had wanted to see some eels, but with the surge and the limited visibility we struck out on this trip.

Date: Mar 28, 2005
Dive Location: Crescent Bay, Laguna Beach CA
Time: 4:02 PM
Bottom Time: 45:50
Max Depth: 42 FSW
Vis: 10-15 (mostly 10)
Wave height: 1-2 feet
Temp at depth: 57 SUUNTO Degrees
Surface Temp: 63 SUUNTO Degrees
Tide information: High: 10:43 AM 3.8 Feet LOW: 4:02 PM 1.4 ftSecond dive since certification for Seth. After walking to Laguna Sea Sports for fills, we returned to crescent bay for a second dive. Conditions had deteriorated since our first dive. Our original plan was to dive the other side of the cove along the reef separating Shaws Cove from Crescent Bay. But the waves were in the 3-5 foot range on that side and only 1-2 feet at the West end of the cove. So back we went. We swam out to the end of the reef coming out from shore. We dropped down there in the 3 foot swells and swam out on a due south heading along the reef out towards Deadmans Reef. Conditions did not improve the deeper or further out from shore we went. About all that can be said for the second dive was visibility was worse, and for much of the dive under 5 feet. Saw several small juvenile fish but nothing spectacular. Had fun around several large boulders but still no eels. It was a good dive, but not great.

Dive #1
----------------
Date:03/28/05
Dive Location: West side of Crescent Bay (North of Seal Rock)
Dive Buddy: Melvin (Pasley)
Time: 1:46 pm
Bottom Time: 35
Max Depth: 41
Vis:15-20'
Wave height:1 - 2 foot
Temp at depth: 59
Surface Temp: 61

Comments: This being my first dive since certification, I was EXTREMELY excited to have time to actually explore... Saw my first octopus which was a trip, and Pasley actually coaxed it to come out and say hi.... Then I kind of got a rude awakening by getting stuck in my right hand by a sea urchin.... Obviously it was all my fault haha.... Great dive and definitely learned alot.... Conditions seemed great with good viz and not much in the way of surge....

Dive #2
----------------
Date:03/28/05
Dive Location: West side of Crescent Bay (North of Seal Rock)
Dive Buddy: Melvin (Pasley)
Time: 4:02 pm
Bottom Time: 45
Max Depth: 43
Vis: beginning of dive 10-12'..... End of dive 3-6'
Wave height: 2 - 4ft
Temp at depth: 57
Surface Temp: 61

Comments: This dive was definitely interesting... The wind picked up ALOT and the waves at LEAST doubled in size, but we braved them none the less.... after about 15 minutes of bottom time, I was swimming about 1-2 feet off the bottom and came face to face with a sheep's head crab and I about had to change my wetsuit.... As the dive continued the visibility went from good to VERY poor, not to mention my mask was fogging.... But the dive was fun none the less.....

Stryker:
Claudette,
I am up for diving any time I have some time off of work.... I dont do a whole lot with my free time except take my puppy to the dog park, so just let me know when you are planning on going out.... I just finished my first 2 REAL dives since certification last weekend, and I am hooked like you would not believe....

As for the wrinkles dive, unfortunately, that is the weekend I work but I would love to go... I looked at the websites and it definitely looks like its gonna be a great time.... I will definitely come to next month's wrinkles dive if I have the time off.... Thanks for the invite though.... :crafty:
Great, Seth. I'll PM when we're going out. Nice to read that you went diving with Pasley today! Beach diving WILL get better than it's been for most of the past 4 months, so if you've loved it so far you will be delirious when it gets GOOD! And the ocassional boat dive? Well, that's just heavenly.... Hopefully you'll have a second Saturday free in May, June or July for a Wrinkles event. Take good care of that adorable puppy!
Claudette

Date:03/29/05
Dive Location: Shaws Cove
Dive Buddy: Aaron (abrown203) and Jon (SNOBORDJON)
Time: 6:44 pm
Bottom Time: 43
Max Depth: 45
Vis:10-12'
Wave height:1 - 2 ft
Surge: Small (1-3FT I would guess)
Temp at depth: 57
Surface Temp: 60-61 (I keep forgetting to look haha)...

Comments: Well I must say that despite my previous reservations about doing a night dive so early in my Scuba career, I am EXTREMELY happy I did it... Despite being a little disorienting at first, I was AMAZED at how much clearer and brighter things are at night compared to the daytime.... The lights really bring out some amazing color.... On the way out to the end of the reef I spotted an octopus that looked like he was ready to head out and hunt.... Once we started into the crevice (not sure if its "THE" crevice or not) the bugs started "appearing".... I saw probably 8-10 through the whole dive.... I am pretty upset that EVERYONE but me saw a moray on the dive (apparently he was pretty big too and I looked right at it and didnt see him)... The trip back was pretty cool... We ended up going through the archway (I think) and ended the dive....

As a side note, I have to say that it sure is easy to lose track of where you are at night, but you definitely learn alot by doing.... GREAT dive and cant wait to do another night dive... :crafty:

Shaw's Cove, Laguna Beach
Night Dive - in water about 6:45pm
Vis - 10-15 (max)
slight surge (1-2')
waves - 2-3' with a 4' sneaker once in a while
temp - suunto said 57, logic said 55, felt like 30F
Depth - 37'
time 1:20
dive gear lost: Aqualung big knife!

Went into the crevice expecting lots of surge. Was grateful I didn't find any. Saw all those hopkin's roses everyone's been talking about. Of course, I didn't bring my camera!

Along the reef, we explored up and down the reef wall. Saw two morays and three octopods. One was really big. I wanted to feed it an urchin, but when I reached for my knife, it was gone :(

As we came in, we came across many CA round rays. There was an adorable baby bat ray, maybe 12 inches long, including it's tail. The wingspan was about 8 inches. Sooooooooo cute!

Continuing on towards the shore, three crabs suddenly popped out of the sand. The two larger ones bickered for a bit, then the larger one grabbed the female. Boy was he ever rough as he forced her under his mount! I started to have delusions of a hump day dive...no wait, that's tomorrow morning!!

This was my first dive with a new BP/W. I had wayyyyy too much weight for it. At the end of the dive, I did a weight check and was able to remove 8 pounds! Yikes!!!

All in all, an awesome dive!

Dove with two non scubaboarders, but saw Aaron, Seth, and John before the dive and spoke with Seth and Aaron afterwards!

Back
Top Bottom