March '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stryker:
Date:03/29/05
Dive Location: Shaws Cove
Dive Buddy: Aaron (abrown203) and Jon (SNOBORDJON)
Time: 6:44 pm
Bottom Time: 43
Max Depth: 45
Vis:10-12'
Wave height:1 - 2 ft
Surge: Small (1-3FT I would guess)
Temp at depth: 57
Surface Temp: 60-61 (I keep forgetting to look haha)...

Comments: Well I must say that despite my previous reservations about doing a night dive so early in my Scuba career, I am EXTREMELY happy I did it... Despite being a little disorienting at first, I was AMAZED at how much clearer and brighter things are at night compared to the daytime.... The lights really bring out some amazing color.... On the way out to the end of the reef I spotted an octopus that looked like he was ready to head out and hunt.... Once we started into the crevice (not sure if its "THE" crevice or not) the bugs started "appearing".... I saw probably 8-10 through the whole dive.... I am pretty upset that EVERYONE but me saw a moray on the dive (apparently he was pretty big too and I looked right at it and didnt see him)... The trip back was pretty cool... We ended up going through the archway (I think) and ended the dive....

As a side note, I have to say that it sure is easy to lose track of where you are at night, but you definitely learn alot by doing.... GREAT dive and cant wait to do another night dive... :crafty:

Good report, now I dont have to leave one!
Thanks for coming out tonight, It was a good dive, and every one I get to do helps me stop drinking so much air! Its a good thing I have a 120!

Late,
John

I'm still tryin to figure out how you have a 120 and I had a RENTAL 80 and you only had 200 PSI more than me at the end... And im bigger than you!! haha.... I do envy the tank though.. :wink: Im sure it woulda been a bit longer if all of us had 120s haha...

Stryker:
I'm still tryin to figure out how you have a 120 and I had a RENTAL 80 and you only had 200 PSI more than me at the end... And im bigger than you!! haha.... I do envy the tank though.. :wink: Im sure it woulda been a bit longer if all of us had 120s haha...

Ok guys, I had a short fill 80, and dove for 80 minutes. The trick is to take sips of air, not gulps! :lol:
L

Whatever happened to the whole "take deep slow breaths" that they teach you in OW class?

Ok, now I regret not braving the traffic...*grumble*. Instead I'll probably be in the Caltech pool tomorrow practicing fin kicks and SPG clipping...

Stryker:
Whatever happened to the whole "take deep slow breaths" that they teach you in OW class?

slow, yes. deep, yes. but not gulps....and one person's slow is another person's hyperventilation. it should be deep, looooonnnnnngggggg slllllllloooooooooowwwww, sips. honest!

radinator:
Ok, now I regret not braving the traffic...*grumble*. Instead I'll probably be in the Caltech pool tomorrow practicing fin kicks and SPG clipping...
regret is such an ugly thing... next time...
At least you'll be able to do some skill work. That is always a good thing! :gorgeous:

L

I think im starting to catch on to that... I used 300 less PSI tonight than I did yesterday for the same duration, and tonight was actually a few feet deeper... I have Melvin (Pasley) to thank for that...

Stryker:
I think im starting to catch on to that... I used 300 less PSI tonight than I did yesterday for the same duration, and tonight was actually a few feet deeper... I have Melvin (Pasley) to thank for that...

Yes, the more dives, the less air. I don't know why, but I am grateful!

Stryker:

The way my instructor taught it in my OW class way back in the last millenium (!) was "exhale more than you inhale". It seemed silly to me at the time, and it violated a few physical laws, but it did help when I would focus on it. I would sip a bit of air, and take my time exhaling it slooooooowly. It really did help.

Back
Top Bottom