Marathon Key - Dolphin Research Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gj62

Contributor
Reaction score
Taking the family to Marathon in April. I've got 2 young boys (6 and 9) who love to snorkel and looked at the Dolphin Center - http://www.dolphins.org/ which, from the descriptions, they would love to do.

Can anyone tell me if they have been there and what it was like? I have heard some bad press on places like this, but have not seen anything specific to this place.

Seems expensive, but if it is a good experience, we'll do it.

Thanks in advance...

I used to take classes from seacamp there all the time. The place has changed quite a bit the last few years, with the most drastic change (for the worse in my opinion) being the replacement of guided, personalized tours with timed events that people attend during the day. Basically they followed the Seaworld model... boo!!

Overall the place is pretty neat. The DRC's mission is mostly rehab for dolphins from other aquariums, and it acts as a sort of "old folks home" for some of the worst cases. They do some breeding. The various Flipper dolphins originally came from here, and there's a little shrine hidden out of the way for the first Flipper (I think her name was Mitsy or something). There are also a couple of California sea lions acclimated to the subtropics, and several big parrot cages. The dolphins have a first rate volunteer base to help take care of them; there are lots of games they play. The "trainers" are unusual in that they don't make the dolphins do anything they don't want to do, which is pretty humane.

For additional costs, there are specific worskhops you can attend. One of them involves a "dolphin encounter" where you can directly interact with them (this class has a tiny student:dolphin ratio and is usually full way in advance), I think other classes stress behavior studies and maybe helping with feeding tasks.

It's on Grassy Key near Marathon (there is no Marathon Key). Most of Marathon is on Key Vaca.

Walter:
It's on Grassy Key near Marathon (there is no Marathon Key). Most of Marathon is on Key Vaca.

I see now that Marathon is the city, not the Key... I'm sure I'll learn my way around when we are there...

I appreciate the correction, but I don't think that changes the question :wink: Do you have any feedback on the research center?

Nope, if I did, I would have given it to you in the earlier post. I only know hearsay, I'm guessing you want first hand experiences. I've driven by it many times, but never stopped.

I have been there once. Was on a dive trip with my shop out of Indy and one of the gals on the trip used to work there. SO, on the way from Tavernier to Key West, we stopped at the DRC (about mile marker 60 or 68, I think). Was a REAL NICE place. WE got in free and got a "behind the scenes" tour as it was just closing for the evening (5 pm, I think). Got to see full grown and babies up close. They even had them do some "tricks" for us. Fantastic overall, especially for the price! :) I'd say it would be especially nice "time filler" in case you are down there diving and it was too windy/wavy for boats to go out. I would think the KIDS WOULD LOVE IT.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom