Marathon Gulfside dive locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrbob

New
Reaction score
A group of us are coming to Marathon the weekend of 7/19, for some it is their first open water dive since getting certified. If anyone can recommend a few spots that aren't on the main list on reefs, but would make a for good beginner to intermediate dive that would be great. I read somewhere that there are at least 2 possible spot in the Gulf, Mr Matt's and 3 boats and a hole, but can't find any information on these locations.
We are bringing our own boats, so we are able to go to any location suggested.
Any information would be great and looking forward to the trip.
Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
I dove the Three Boats site about ten years ago from a private boat. There were two fiberglass boats there on the bottom (never figured out why it's called Three Boats), kind of algae covered (fiberglass doesn't foster coral growth like steel does) but I'm pretty sure we snaked some bugs out of there. It was pretty unimpressive :(

That being said, I don't think there are any commercial ops going there when the diving is so much better on the oceanside.

I dove both spots earlier this year. There are commercial ops that go there, but mostly for lobster and spearing. It's very shallow, but there is tons of life there. Great spot for yellow tail. IMO it a better snorkle location than a dive location. If you need GPS numbers I can get them for you (our buy a top spots map when you get there).

All of the reef dives at Marathon are suitable for begenners. You can stay under 30 ft. at Sombreo Light and see some great reef structure. Same with Coffins Patch or any of the unnamed patch reefs.

I will be down there this weekend, fishing most of the time (being the only diver in the group) but hope to get wet a few times.
Could you sent me the numbers, might be a good spot to put the kids on for yellow tail if the beach side gets blown out

If you could send me the numbers that would be great, I will also pick up a top spot chart.
Thanks

Thanks for the tip on the top spot charts, it contains a lot of informaton.

I've done a lot of gulf dives, don't take anyone I like to the gulf :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom