Marathon Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big_Dawg

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good dive operator in Marathon, FL? We are staying there Memorial Day week and plan on diving 4 of the 7 days we are there? What are the best dive sites in this area?

You might want to give Capt Hook's a try. The main attraction in Marathon is the wreck of the Thunderbolt. Best diving is back up the road a bit in the Upper Keys. While in Marathon be sure to eat at the Stuffed Pig and the 7 mile Diner.

Hope you have a great Memorial Day Weekend. Be safe

Agree on the Thunderbolt, best dive in the area. Try Abyss Dive Center at the Holiday Inn. 36' 6-pak and they take good care of you. Nice folks.

We had a great time a few years back with Capt. Banny. Small boat, very knowledgeable, and very interested in catering to the divers on the boat.

Jim

I never did the thunderbolt but I did the duane and speigel grove. If your coming from all the way up there whats a 15 min. drive and try to do the speigel grove you can get more info of where it is and how far by doing a search. but trust me it's an awsome dive. I did it tru amory dive resort and they where great mile marker 104
be safe and have fun
P.S. during that weekend it gets really busy in the keys so be prepared for that,especially traffic.
alex

for the ~50 mile drive from Marathon to Key Largo. It's an awesome scenic drive, but drawbridges, accidents, event traffic, and rubber neckers can really slow things down!

I had a great time diving the Thunderbolt with Captains Bill and Randy of Abyss Pro Dive Center recently. Let me know if you want to arrange a day of diving in Key Largo while you're here.

Went out with Middle Keys Scuba in Marathon in December. Had no complaints, took us out and did a deep reef dive and back to coffins patch which is a neat reef to snorkle right off Marathon.

I'm planning to be back on Memorial Day but not sure if Marathon is going to be in the mix. Consider also Looe Key for a pretty reef, near there at Big Pine Key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom