Marathon & Coffins Patch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
Has anyone dove Coffins Patch off Marathon? The San Ignatio went down
there in 1733 and I guess some others. Find anything? I'm going to be there
in Feb and could use some tips.

I have dove there several times. It's a fun but shallow dive (max. depth 28' if I remember correctly) with lots of critters. There is part of a ship near a partially submerged pile, which appears to be part of a mast with a crows nest. There is probably more stuff around but we were to busy taking pictures of the critters to notice a whole lot. The area itself is fairly large on the map but we only dove the corner with the submerged pile.

Another area you might want to try is the Gap which is also off of Marathon. It's about 80' on the ocean side and 55' on the Keys side, with a wall of coral and rock with all manner of creatures around.

plsdiver4377:
I have dove there several times. It's a fun but shallow dive (max. depth 28' if I remember correctly) with lots of critters. There is part of a ship near a partially submerged pile, which appears to be part of a mast with a crows nest. There is probably more stuff around but we were to busy taking pictures of the critters to notice a whole lot. The area itself is fairly large on the map but we only dove the corner with the submerged pile.

Another area you might want to try is the Gap which is also off of Marathon. It's about 80' on the ocean side and 55' on the Keys side, with a wall of coral and rock with all manner of creatures around.

"The Gap" huh? I've got to try that. It sounds fun. I know the piling where
you dove...I used to fish near there before becoming a diver. I dove it a couple of years ago and brought a bag to fill with doubloons. Turns out I didn't need the bag though. Thanks for the info.

Lawman:
Has anyone dove Coffins Patch off Marathon? The San Ignatio went down
there in 1733 and I guess some others. Find anything? I'm going to be there
in Feb and could use some tips.

It is a very cool, unintimidating dive with lots of sea life. We saw barracuda, turtles, jellyfish and many others. Shallow with good vis. Easy to find- look for the mast sticking up out of the water! You will probably enjoy it.
Also post at or watch Florida Conch Divers for more info.
Kurt :snorkels:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom