Mapping the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

antattack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's time for my DiveMaster mapping project. I'll be mapping a dive site below the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf, starting from the boat launch.

It's been a while since I dove this site, but I recall very little visibility, a sandy bottom and nothing but piers every sixteen feet. It will be a real challenge to find features worthy of navigating to.

Does anybody have any ideas about landmarks I should map under the wharf? Sunken cars? Shopping carts?

Rumor has it that there is an artificial reef of tires on the South East side, that might be fun to map- can any one confirm?

I'll be pleased to post the results of my mapping project for the community to use. This is one of the few dive locations in Santa Cruz. While visibility is low, if we had a map perhaps more folks would dive the location.

Oh- Anyone want to go dive the wharf with me? Vis is so bad there we could do a nite dive :)

---------- Post Merged on August 1st, 2012 at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous Post was on July 31st, 2012 at 09:32 AM ----------

I see that sixty of you have read this :) Nobody wants to map the municipal wharf with me?

This is happening :D

If you're talking Cowell's beach near the Boardwalk: then I'm in for a dive. I can only go Wed and Thur Afternoon though.
Would prefer a "night dive" done in broad day light. I'm not sure if the launch ramp is down yet, so we may have to do a shore entry.

There's an artifical tire reef close to where the wharf bends, but other than that, no real land marks other than broken off pilings. I have yet to really pay attention to those to really see if there's any distinguishing features.

Hi G1138,
Sorry I didn't see your post until today! Excellent- if you want to dive with me this week, any evening will work.

I went down to the wharf this weekend and enquired at the lifeguard station. They have no specific requirements but asked that we check in. The boat launches are open and there is one that is open right near the bend- public launch number 2. This is good news because the boat launch used by kayakers is a long way from the bend in the wharf. Public Launch number 2 is right at the bend, and all we have to do is drop down. Maybe swim to the other side of the south side of wharf.

I've already drawn the map, so this will pretty much be a fun dive confirming what I've drawn.

I'll PM you my contact info- Anyone else want to dive with Sea Lions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom