Mapping dive and snorkel site in the Panhandle and AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Popple

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi everyone! Ian from Reef Smart Guides here. We've just finished producing waterproof dive cards and dive guides of the Fort Lauderdale area and Palm Beach and we're now heading over your way to start mapping the best dive and snorkel sites in the Panhandle. We'll be dipping our toes into Alabama waters also, but probably not much further than Lulu and New Venture on this trip. We wanted to reach out to ScubaBoard members and get your feedback on what sites should be including in a guidebook for the NE Gulf Coast. We create 3D models of dives sites (example image attached below). This process is time consuming and costly, which is why we need to focus on the best and most popular sites (we simply can't map every site...as much as we would like to!). We're committed to creating 3D models of around 25 sites. Would love your feedback as to the best 25 sites. At the moment, this is the list we are working (map attached) which was developed with feedback from some local dive operators. Are we missing any? Thanks in advance for your comments!
ssthistlegorm.jpg NE Gulf target wrecks.jpg

Awesome! Would love to see these for Pensacola area wrecks. You have selected some great dive spots but I would suggest adding the Ocean Wind tugboat. The Russian Freighter and the Massachusetts are both local classics as well.

Awesome! Would love to see these for Pensacola area wrecks. You have selected some great dive spots but I would suggest adding the Ocean Wind tugboat. The Russian Freighter and the Massachusetts are both local classics as well.

Thanks DCAL. Just realized we do actually have Ocean Wind on the list, but forgot to put it on the map. Will look into Russian Freighter and Mass right away and see if we can include them. Great feedback. Thanks!

There are a couple of shore dives I used to do in Gulf Shores, AL
The Whiskey Wreck and the Paddle Wheeler. That was in the 1980 ies so I would be hard pressed to locate them now. However, I'm sure the LDS knows where they are.

The Whiskey wreck was my first ocean dive in 1986. Given how shallow it is, it's hard to imagine there would be a whole lot left of it now. It would be cool if I were wrong though!

There are a couple of shore dives I used to do in Gulf Shores, AL
The Whiskey Wreck and the Paddle Wheeler. That was in the 1980 ies so I would be hard pressed to locate them now. However, I'm sure the LDS knows where they are.

Thanks. We'll take a look into both of these and give feedback. We're unlikely to get far into AL during this trip, but it's possible we could map it if it's close to shore. Will let you know. Thanks

The Whiskey wreck was my first ocean dive in 1986. Given how shallow it is, it's hard to imagine there would be a whole lot left of it now. It would be cool if I were wrong though!

Will look into this and let you know if we can track it down. Thanks for the comment.

Yes, the whiskey wreck and paddle wheeler are both in the neighborhood of 100 meters from the beach. Back when I dove the whiskey wreck, substantial portions would occasionally be covered by sand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom