Manufacturers and their images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

New something to discuss (hopefully). I recently saw that thread comparing gear makers to cars, relatives, food, etc. Very funny thread, I might add. There was also the "future of diving" thread where people (myself included) debate the dumbing down of diving and the tech/rec dichotomy. But here's another angle I wanted to explore that combines the two: different manufacturers seem to project different auras/images/whatever. For example, my impression is that Zeagle, OMS, and DiveRite are "pro, techie, hardcore REAL: dive gear," while stuff like Sherwood and Genesis scream "occasional diver/tourist" or "resort rental gear," Scubapro and Aqualung say "like Nikon cameras, standard equipment for National Geographic contributors," Dacor equals "mass market gear for clueless newbies," etc. These are MY impressions, though. And of course there are plenty of other brands out there that I missed...so shall we discuss what people think of when they hear "Mares" or "Poseidon" and all the rest? The whole sociological/psychological aspect of branding and name recognition fascinate me, obviously.

cheers

Billy S.

Back
Top Bottom