Manual White Balance, Olym C4000Z

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had a thought as I was reading this. If I remember correctly, my oly 5050 has two WB presets. If these were set using Manual WB at depth, the cam would remember these settings and you can go back to them anytime you dive that depth again.

I have no idea how easy it is to switch presets, I don't have my camera in front of me at the moment. If it works the way I hope, it'll save some time WBing the camera each time.

Also, other cameras could have more WB presets, and it'd be ideal for them -set WB for every 10 feet or so!

-Steve

bubble blower:
you make it sound like a dive slate or a piece of plastic is exceptionally heavey and difficult to transport...

It's not the heaviness--it's the "I only have two hands" factor. Yes, you can clip all sorts of things to D-rings, but I'm trying to imagine holding the slate with one hand, holding the camera with the other hand (pointing camera at slate), and trying to figure out which hand will push the buttons on the camera to set white balance...

No, I have not yet mastered operating a camera with one hand...

:11:

hdtran:
Dee, if you're reading--how about a white elastic cloth that you bungees (is that a verb?) around your buddy's tank (or head :) ) so you can set white balance?

That could be done! Some white canvas, a little velcro, about 20 minutes at the sewing machine. Only problem is your buddy may not always be handy! Mine is usually taking his own photos or spotting stuff for me.

On my 5050, I've learned to hot the slate in my left hand, holr the camera with my right hand on the bottom in the palm of my hand and hitting the OK button with my thumb. Sort of pitch it up into the water column and catch it with the correct grip and take the photo. Works well with a little practice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom