Mantus Marine dive compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd love something like this if it could fill to say, 4000, and really existed.

I downloaded the manual and it reads like a grammatically edited Harbor Freight tool manual.

Interesting points.
Only fills to 2750 so your aluminum 80 is actually only a 70. But you can over fill a steel 72 and get 80cf if you want I guess.

The compressor has a mechanically operated pressure relief valve that opens a 3000 psi or 3300 psi depending where you look on the page.

Temps over 86º do not allow for continuous operation. The times given to fill an "80" are the same regardless of temp though. How long is the cool down?

Filters last 20 hrs. 18+/- fills of an 80.

Oh yeah, don't run if it's hailing!

I really wish I could find a reliable compressor for around this price that could fill hp tanks, had good filter life, ran off 110v, and was quiet. Not much to ask right? Living in a townhouse places limits on noise and storage. I wouldn't care if it took an hour to fill a 100. Would be nice to have an auto drain if it took that long though.

Anyway, the manual is fun reading.

I am seriously considering this for our sailboat. Nice to see this thread. I am trying to figure out the true pros and cons of this compressor. I agree with Ghost95 on the fact that I don't care how long it would take to fill the tanks, but I am concerned about the filter life. How many would I realistically need to keep onboard? Hmm. I do like the Mantus company, so I am tempted to give this a whirl. Still on the fence, though.

My concern with the low fill rate is burning it out. It doesn't say run time or continous run capable.

Also the limited pressure is a concern since I dive HP tanks.

Mantus is one of four highly regarded designers and manufacturers of SHHP (super high holding power) anchors and related ground tackle for oceangoing yachts, the others being Rocna (in Canada), Manson (in New Zealand), and Spade Anchor (In Florida). These manufacturers primarily serve a niche community of liveaboard cruisers who spend a substantial number of days at anchor each year on sailboats in the 30-60' range. Roughly half of these individuals are scuba divers. By virtue of living aboard a self-contained sailboat they have ready access to dive opportunities in otherwise inaccessible locations from their own vessel or from a dinghy. In most cases these aren't especially deep dives and indeed often they are areas that can be explored by snorkeling. These same sailors also dive to check the set of their anchor, to clean marine growth from the bottom of their boat, to deal with fouling from lines or traps, and (as @Akimbo notes upthread) to effect repairs.

For clarity, these are individuals who have completed OWD certification or equivalent, at least in the vast majority of cases.

Dive gear designed for shorter duration dives in shallow, warm water serves these needs well and offers an alternative to hookah systems (which are popular in this application). My boats are smaller but I have experimented with minimalist dive configurations using smaller cylinders and no BC and even though I have concluded that the space savings over a BP/W with a smaller wing aren't that great, I can see the attraction. There is a real need, and most people aren't aware of the BP/W alternative.

Gas logistics is a major barrier to diving for this group. Obtaining gas fills ashore is usually untenable: the boat is ordinarily at anchor so cylinders have to be transferred to shore in a dinghy, then transported to a dive shop (with public transportation not always allowing dive cylinders depending on country), then back. Space aboard is limited as is power. A relative handful (I've heard 10%) of these boats have compressors, usually powered by a gasoline engine, and in many cases offer fills to other boats on a barter basis. There's more electricity on boats now than 5-10 years ago due to advancements in solar power and LiFePO4 battery technology, but electric-powered compressors are still rare.

A compressor that runs off electricity, that is small and light enough for one person to move from a storage locker to an operating location on deck, and that is sized to run from smaller electrical systems that are 120v only, meets a genuine need for this small market. The usual questions about lifespan, parts availability, filtration design, maximum pressure, and service intervals all still apply.
THIS!

Mantus is one of four highly regarded designers and manufacturers of SHHP (super high holding power) anchors and related ground tackle for oceangoing yachts, the others being Rocna (in Canada), Manson (in New Zealand), and Spade Anchor (In Florida). These manufacturers primarily serve a niche community of liveaboard cruisers who spend a substantial number of days at anchor each year on sailboats in the 30-60' range. Roughly half of these individuals are scuba divers. By virtue of living aboard a self-contained sailboat they have ready access to dive opportunities in otherwise inaccessible locations from their own vessel or from a dinghy. In most cases these aren't especially deep dives and indeed often they are areas that can be explored by snorkeling. These same sailors also dive to check the set of their anchor, to clean marine growth from the bottom of their boat, to deal with fouling from lines or traps, and (as @Akimbo notes upthread) to effect repairs.

For clarity, these are individuals who have completed OWD certification or equivalent, at least in the vast majority of cases.

Dive gear designed for shorter duration dives in shallow, warm water serves these needs well and offers an alternative to hookah systems (which are popular in this application). My boats are smaller but I have experimented with minimalist dive configurations using smaller cylinders and no BC and even though I have concluded that the space savings over a BP/W with a smaller wing aren't that great, I can see the attraction. There is a real need, and most people aren't aware of the BP/W alternative.

Gas logistics is a major barrier to diving for this group. Obtaining gas fills ashore is usually untenable: the boat is ordinarily at anchor so cylinders have to be transferred to shore in a dinghy, then transported to a dive shop (with public transportation not always allowing dive cylinders depending on country), then back. Space aboard is limited as is power. A relative handful (I've heard 10%) of these boats have compressors, usually powered by a gasoline engine, and in many cases offer fills to other boats on a barter basis. There's more electricity on boats now than 5-10 years ago due to advancements in solar power and LiFePO4 battery technology, but electric-powered compressors are still rare.

A compressor that runs off electricity, that is small and light enough for one person to move from a storage locker to an operating location on deck, and that is sized to run from smaller electrical systems that are 120v only, meets a genuine need for this small market. The usual questions about lifespan, parts availability, filtration design, maximum pressure, and service intervals all still apply.
Thank you for this excellent post. My only disagreement is that the majority of small scuba compressors that I see on live aboard sailboats, have electric motors & are powered from an on-board genset.

I have had excellent experiences with Mantus anchors. Their swivels are probably about the best ones out there. They also make excellent snubbers & snubber hooks. They seem to tend towards providing very good quality items at a sort of reasonable but not cheap price. In the past, they provided made in USA equipment. Now, some of it comes from off shore. Their product line seems to have expanded greatly in the last year or two. I have been to their location in TX. It seemed small. It was closed the day that I drove by.

I am interested in the fact that this compressor is water cooled. That may improve duty cycle capacity. Unfortunately, the max pressure & flow rate are both a little below what I am looking for at this time. That is a necessary consequence of running on such a small motor.

I am disappointed at the limited amount of information they provide on this compressor.

It must be possible to get someone to test the compressor and produce a good review. My friend running Divers Ready will be very interested.

It must be possible to get someone to test the compressor and produce a good review. My friend running Divers Ready will be very interested.

Call and ask I they would loan one out for review purposes.

I will make some calls! James at Divers Read is someone you can trust. He would not produce a fake review.

There are now a bunch of questions posted about things like duty cycle & motor frame size. If you know the frame size, then you can find out what other voltage/HP/HZ options are available.

We will see what kind of response gets generated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom