Manta Ray Dives Hawaii dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

splzero

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone ever done a manta ray dive with them? Its a toss up between them or Kona Honu Divers.

ive tried searching but the shop name seems a bit general to search for.

THANKS!!!

Just out of curiosity, how did you narrow the decision to just these two operators?

Also, what exactly were you looking for in your search? Their web site came up as the second hit on my search.

sorry,
The searching wasnt for the website but for reviews on their shop and boat.

I found 3 manta ray night dives Jacks locker, Kona Honu Divers, and manta ray dives hawaii. Jacks only does 2 tanks and we were just looking for a 1 tank dive.

Sorry for the confusion.

Here is a link to a page with links for many Kona night dive operators.

Manta Pacific Research Foundation

Times have been tough on the Kona dive scene; not sure if all these operators still exist, but I'm sure there are still more than three.

The list is not completely accurate, one or two aren't running night dives last I knew, I'm missing and I can think of a couple others off the top of my head, and several cater to snorkelers. Neptune Charlie's (Manta ray dives of Hawaii - a charter boat, many companies have no retail location) runs single tank dives, Kona Honu and Big Island still run single tank dives on occasion, Sea Paradise does a single tank dive at the Keauhou location only. This may not earn me any friends, but there's a reason most dive companies primarily stick to two tank dives for that dive, work for a boat that does single tank dives and you'll figure it out... any time you get divers who haven't dove in months or years thinking a night dive is a good thing to do as their first dive back in the water you're in for a lot of work, and the potential for "issues" on the dive jumps bigtime.

Last edited:
We are flying into Kona just for the manta ray dive and fly out the next day. I wish we could do a 2 tank dive but im not going to chance it.

do most manta ray dives go to the same location?

We are flying into Kona just for the manta ray dive and fly out the next day. I wish we could do a 2 tank dive but im not going to chance it.

I did the night dive with Manta Ray Dives. Also, I could only do 1 dive. There were more snorkelers than divers on the boat. But that didn't make any difference as we were separated into 2 groups, snorkelers & divers.

Most of the operators go to the same location near the airport.

FYI, my wife went as a snorkele. We both had a great time and I would go diving with them again.

Ken

Right now the spot to go is off the airport. Pretty much everyone but Sea Paradise is going there for now. There are several companies, but not all, that will go to whichever site is having better success at the time, you'd need to inquire about that when you're calling around.

I used Big Island Divers. They were terrific and affordable,
Big Island Divers Diving Scuba Snorkel Kona Hawaii Manta Ray Black water pelagic magic dive

Here's a video of the dives.

I totally loved Big Island Divers! Their captains and Dive Masters were knowledgable of sites and sea life and they really catered to the divers. My hubby is a much more confident and experienced diver, but I'm am the relative newby, and from my perspective, I liked the way they took care of me! I'm not HIGH maintenance, but I do love to be catered to and Big Island Divers were great! All of our dives with them were great dives, not just the Manta dives.:cool3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom