Mansfield Dam, 10/21 - 10/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like my Sat. day trip is out,,,my wife had other plans set for the early evening,,,,SO a 'rain-check' please!

Has anyone seen Alan's pants?

Gotta get up early in the mornin, and put the pants on, can't wait, if she gets up before you and finds them its all over.

loosebits:
Has anyone seen Alan's pants?

LOL..... well the last time I looked,,,my pants all have 3 legs.

cyklon_300:
sorry, the dates didn't click the first time I read the subject header...

I'll be in FL caving that week...you guys enjoy the lake, tho.

Windex conditions below 115' at the dam today down to 146'...there was however, a zone of complete white-out from 100' to 85' about 75 yards from the dam face. Could not read gauges, or see HID beam beyond 2'...weird, don't know what created the siltout...

My friend aced using his new drysuit, only took a 15 minute orientation dive and he was looking quite comfortable in it. Not bad, an essentially brand new Dacor trilam with bellows pockets and some pretty snazzy Chuck Taylor style rock boots for $450. It's a backzip, but for that price, hard to complain...

Thanks for pointing out that the layer ends. I have encountered that layer numerous times but I never venture into it. When the thermoclines disappear in late winter I don't see it. I dove this weekend in a cove near the dam (not the small cove behind mansfield park but the next cove uplake with all the sailboats), and I encountered that layer at 85' and it coincided with a thermocline sitting in the old creek bed in that cove. It was a night dive and the terrain in the old creekbed in that cove was very interesting (significant erosion resulting in 6-8' overhangs, large tree stumps with enormous root systems, ...)

I also dove to 88' near where Scuba Point used to be (further uplake in one of the creek arms on the west side of the Windy Point peninsula) and I did not encounter that layer, but my plan was to dive 80' so I didn't go looking for it. I was putting off deeper diving until the lake took on its winter look, but now that I know the layer ends, I'll start diving through it on my deep dives.

cyklon_300:
sorry, the dates didn't click the first time I read the subject header...

I'll be in FL caving that week...you guys enjoy the lake, tho.

Gregg
What are the dates you are in Florida?
We are doing a couple of tune-up dives @ vortex on the 24th then heading on down to High springs for Full cave on the 25th & 26th.

Hope to see you.
Dave
Ps: Travis has been Greattttttt.

Sorry I missed out,,,so how did the weekend/dives go??

Back
Top Bottom