Manatees - Crystal or Homosassa River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal

Contributor
Reaction score
Will be down in the Orlando area for a day of diving in the middle of the month (3/17) and decided to combine snorkling with manatees and diving. Shops seem to go both Crystal River or Homosassa River for the manatees. Is one better than the other? More likely to see/interact with them at one rather than the other?

Thanks,

Hal

Check out Kings Bay of Crystal River - I went there back in 95 when I was in HS and there were an abundance of manatees there. Never did snorkel in Homosassa, so I don't know about the manatee population there. However, on 19 Feb I dove at Weeki Wachee springs and had three manatee approach me while I was diving. Cost at Weeki Wachee is $30, but your time in the spring is limited due to a "mermaid" show. (Weeki Wachee is on US19 south of Homosassa. DSAO.

Hal:
Will be down in the Orlando area for a day of diving in the middle of the month (3/17) and decided to combine snorkling with manatees and diving. Shops seem to go both Crystal River or Homosassa River for the manatees. Is one better than the other? More likely to see/interact with them at one rather than the other?

Thanks,

Hal

Check out American Pro dive shop. I just did both places with them and we had good luck at both. They will know where the best interaction is taking place since they cover both locations. If you do go with them ask for Mike (with hair <g>). He is great. Tell him Capt. America said hello. (I often dive with a r/w/b bandana)

Joe

Thanks. Actually, was speaking with them. Will do Rainbow River with them in the afternoon. In the morning, they'll lead trips to both rivers -- seems that I'll have to pick. Will send Capt. America's regards.

This may sound like a stupid question --- what about alligators and snakes? Every time I've been near water inland, I've seen lots of both. Has anyone ever dove with manatees and had a problem with the reptile kind?
Sincerely, Snake Hater and Gator Purse Owner (-- just kidding --)

Those that did aren't around to discuss it. :wink:

Joe

Sideband:
Check out American Pro dive shop. I just did both places with them and we had good luck at both. They will know where the best interaction is taking place since they cover both locations. If you do go with them ask for Mike (with hair <g>). He is great. Tell him Capt. America said hello. (I often dive with a r/w/b bandana)

Joe

We did the snorkel/dive with Mike in November and had a great time. We also dove Rainbow River the same afternoon. We're planning another trip to Florida in May and plan to repeat the snorkel/dives. Get the video, too. It's a little pricey but worth it.

I finished high school living on a remote corner of a lake near rainbow river (actually we could only see one other house from our property), and I swam and played in the lake all the time. Also, having swam with manatee in Crystal River, I haven't encountered any reptiles around that would actually attack a diver. Although, I always kept a keen eye on the look-out for one. The Rainbow River shouldn't be a problem as there are often people tubing the river in the summer time when things tend to get hot. I don't think the gators and snakes will be a problem for you there.

hey. we just went to blue spring state park in january - and had a GREAT manatee experience. it's close to orlando and you just get to WALK into the water (yay!).

i've always heard of crystal river, but am not sure where it is in relation to orlando.. if this is closer, it was a great time!

pics/review at my blog (scroll - this is the whole month of january):
http://estacey.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_estacey_archive.html

st

Crystal River is about 2 hours west of Orlando. Blue Spring is a great place but seeing a manatee can be hit or miss. The manatees have to come down to that small area sectioned off for swimmers/divers. I also recall something about being fined if you're caught within 50' of a manatee, which is not the case in Crystal River. I'm not positive about this though. I do know in Crystal River they allow you to interact with manatees as long as you stay on the surface and don't harass them (ie chase them, hold them, etc).

BTW, cool photos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom