Manatees - Crystal or Homosassa River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just back from the trip. The snorkeling in Homosassa was lots of fun. Were quite a few manatees that wanted to play. Went out very early (on the water by 6:30). Few people or boats and friendly manatees. Was there with my son (4 y.o.) who had a great time. Re. manatees heading out, I was told that end of this month they'll start to leave Homosassa River. Also told that some hang around during the summer in Crystal River.

Drift dive in Rainbow River was a great experience! Went with American Pro Dive, which I liked very much. Thanks to the springs, the water was extremely clear -- great vis. As Bison indicated, depth changed constantly (often going shallow enough to have my computer shut off -- said I only dove 40 minutes when it was really about an hour and five minutes). Saw everything from snapping turtles, gar, an otter and some diving bird ('fraid I don't remember the name) that shot past me like a torpedo. Probably the best part was going near the shore where the brush from the shore extended over the water creating a canopy of sorts -- diving under the canopy was great.

I also share Bison's warning -- although my dive buddy and I tried to stay close to the dive boat, which served as our flag, still had a relatively close call with a motor boat. Since the depth changes and it is necessary to come fairly close to the surface, really is a need to be careful. I think that, next time, I'd prefer to carry the dive flag rather than just rely on the boat that floated with us.

Overall: two thumbs up

Exellent! Who was your DM for the trips?
There seems to be a few people down there that do not understand the meaning of, "NO WAKE ZONE".

Joe

Think his name was Chris but am not positive. Was also someone else working with 2 people doing a Discover Diving thing.

I "heard" that manatees like to eat green leaf lettuce, and if you bring some with you (organic of course), turtles, etc., come closer too. Not like I plan on doing any hand feeding -- but I've seen divers use frozen peas to attract fish in Micronesia. Wondering if anyone's heard of the lettuce trick to attract manatees? (Is that breaking the law?)

Deanadives:
I "heard" that manatees like to eat green leaf lettuce, and if you bring some with you (organic of course), turtles, etc., come closer too. Not like I plan on doing any hand feeding -- but I've seen divers use frozen peas to attract fish in Micronesia. Wondering if anyone's heard of the lettuce trick to attract manatees? (Is that breaking the law?)

I have also heard that they love it. It was told to us that it is illegal though. That makes sense. It is one thing for them to come to people for interaction but something else for them to start looking to us for food. That's how animals get hurt.

Joe

edit:
There is no need to "attract" the manatees. As soon as we hit the water they were heading out to meet us. If they are there, they will come. We even had a baby come see us.

FYI, it's also illegal to feed dolphins in the ocean. It's like Sideband says, having the animals come to associate humans as a food source is bad news for the animals.

Deanadives:
This may sound like a stupid question --- what about alligators and snakes? Every time I've been near water inland, I've seen lots of both. Has anyone ever dove with manatees and had a problem with the reptile kind?
Sincerely, Snake Hater and Gator Purse Owner (-- just kidding --)

Not a stupid question at all. When I first started diving the freshwater sites in FL I used to wonder the same thing. The fact is that they're probably around, but the places where the diving is best are usually places that aren't good hiding places for the reptile types. I've dived many times at the sites mentioned on this thread and have never seen either a snake or a gator, though I've driven past lots of them on the way to the sites!

What Hal didn't mention is the incredible viz in Crystal, Rainbow and Homosassa Rivers. The bottoms are white sand, so they're usually very, very clear, making for great dives. I strongly encourage you to check it out if you get to this part of the country, though I'd probably leave the gator purse on the boat...

-Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom