Managing end of line on ratchet reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zi55ou

Registered
Reaction score
Given that the end of the line will never be in the exact same spot and might dangle somewhat between ratchets how do people best manage the very end of the line when its all reeled up? Thx

Not what I asked.
Ok, re what you asked. tightenen one more ratchet notch. Or ask the er "person" who sold it to you,
I've never seen a reel that can't be "locked off".

Last edited:
And that's what I was asking how do people manage the last bit of line?
Generally the ratchet reels are buggy and problematic, hence the recommendations to get rid of it. I've seen a lot of them jam and fall apart, especially the plastic ones.

If you are set on kerping it, You could try ratcheting an additional notch by pulling the line tighter, it should stretch a bit unless it's Dacron. Getting it wet usually helps as it swells when wet and shrinks a bit when dry.

Generally the ratchet reels are buggy and problematic, hence the recommendations to get rid of it. I've seen a lot of them jam and fall apart, especially the plastic ones.

If you are set on kerping it, You could try ratcheting an additional notch by pulling the line tighter, it should stretch a bit unless it's Dacron. Getting it wet usually helps as it swells when wet and shrinks a bit when dry.
Thank you finally someone tried to answer me. Good call on giving it a soak before the dive.

What are ratchet reels? Something like the Manta reels? I've used a Manta reel for drift diving with my flag for probablly 800 dives. I've had a tangle on probably 5 dives, easily fixable most of the time.

A good question - I just let it dangle. It's generally not a lot of loose line (maybe an inch).

What are ratchet reels? Something like the Manta reels? I've used a Manta reel for drift diving with my flag for probablly 800 dives. I've had a tangle on probably 5 dives, easily fixable most of the time.
Yes like the manta.
Never had an issue with either of mine both custom diver reels.
Reels
What I meant in the OP was how do people deal with the very end of the line? Do they leave a clip permanently attached or loop it, or use a line stop ala diverite reels. On a rachet reel all those can introduce some slack which is obviously less than ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom