Manado recommendations wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabum2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife & I are looking at travelling to Manado June 2-16. We would like to split the trip up and dive both Lembeh Strait and Bunaken. We are both UW photographers.

Does anyone have recommendations on resorts that cater to photographers. Ideally, a place where mainly photographers go, the dive operation is very flexible about your bottom time, the DM's go very slow, allowing plenty of time for photos and point out things. An added plus would be a place where we can shore dive right off of the resort.

We are currently considering SDQ, which has a package to stay at their resort on Lembeh and their resort on Bunaken. Has anyone stayed or dove with these folks or have other recommendations?

Also, are there any must-do things that we need to do above water on our off day? How about on a 1/2 day in Singapore?

Thanks for your help,
Mark

Well, I know a great place. Dedicated staff very involved with UW photography, this resort caters specially for people like you. They have no bottom time limits, professional guides to point out things for you, relaxed, slow, long dives, a very small ratio sometimes you can even have a guide for every couple of divers (it was my case!), dedicated camera room with photoshop CS2, special place in the boat to place your photo equipment. They are located in a quiet secluded bay and also offer unguided house reef dives for free. And, best thing, because the resort is new they are offering very competitive rates and promotions. Have a look at www.nad-lembeh.com.

Must-do things to do above water? Plenty around Lembeh, if not Singapore is a great place to spend money!

Nur

Nur,
Thanks for the info. Are they on Lembeh Island? How many times did they let you dive per day? I think I would want the option of 4 dives with unlimited bottom time.

Hiya, Scubabum. My 2 cents.

One of the largest dive operations in Manado is Eco-Divers. They run out of Bunaken through Tasik Ria Resort and of the Lembeh Straits with Kunkungan Bay.

Considering that you're gonna stay in Manado for quite a period of time, you would do well to make arrangements for you accomodations where half you stay is in Bunaken side, and the other half of your trip on the lembeh side, rather than run off one resort. Reason being, the guides from the Bunaken side aren't really familiar with the Lembeh sites and vice versa.

If you're doing a stop over in Singapore (where I'm from) it kinda depends on which day and what you intend to do. If it's just for general sight-seeing, anyday of the week is fine as MOST (95%) of retail and tourist-related activities are open 7days a week. Electronics, IT-related, Luxury Goods, are generally cheaper and the selections are pretty large and current here. Just don't get DVD's as Amazon is MUCH cheaper, and GONE are the days of cheap pirated stuff, so no luck.

If it's to look for dive gear..... WHY???? you've got loads more and cheaper than in Singapore, unless you're looking for basic gear, which is the Pro-blue and Saekodive stuff from taiwan (Cheap, Good Quality OEM Scubapro and Oceanic Stuff). All Dive retail shops in singapore only operate on weekdays from 11.30am till about 7pm. Located at Concourse shopping centre in Beach Road. Honestly, for the kind of gear and savings you'd get, I'd skip it and spend the time sight-seeing, shopping and EATING.

The main event in Singapore is Food. Period. Get out of the airport, find a food-court and EAT. NOT FAST-FOOD :D (well, try to skip Popeyes, McD's, and the usual suspects) Even at the airport at changi terminal 2, there's an Air-Conditioned food court hidden on the top floor of the carpark, intended for locals and staff (opened to the public), the food is pretty good (if you don't intend on getting around in Singapore. Better than the crap sold IN the airport and waaaaayyy cheaper (which either shouldn't be an issue). EVERY building and shopping complex in Singapore has a food court. Singaporeans are pretty anal (not exactly the best choice of word to use) with regard to food hygiene and safety. So it's clean and safe. No worries at all. English is the first language here, so you'll have no problems getting around or ordering.

Anything else, just ask! and I'll try to help.

oops, 1 other thing about eco-divers, they have the BEST (SERIOUSLY) DAY TRIP (not LOB) boats I have ever encountered in the entire South-East Asia, and they're used to accomodating most (if not all) the well-known U/W photographers from the region, e.g. Michael Aw, Jez Trynor (same boat when I was there), etc... don't know if they're known outside of the region though. The guy that does those Fish ID guide books, Debillius(?) also uses them IF I'm not wrong, but don't quote me on this. Basically, they're pretty good, professionally run european-owned operation.

Just to clarify, I have no ties to them, and have dived with them for one holiday trip only. It's just a recommendation. Good Luck either way! :D

Hi, Scubabum,

I stayed with Tasik Ria and dived with Ecodivers when I went to Manado. The resort and the dive operator are well-run and I had enjoyed my stay.

When I've visitors here I take them to Little India (my favourite part of Singapore - very different from the rest of the island), Night Safari (for those who just wanted a quiet and relaxing evening) and Zouk (for the party animals).

Welcome to Singapore, and I hope you'd enjoy your stay here. :)

yes, they are in the heart of the lembeh strait, in a quiet secluded bay. Peaceful little haven withe great views. You can dive as many times as you like, want 4? no problem, they offer diving "a la carte", so you just tell them what you want and they please you.

Thanks so much for all of the great recommendations! It looks like we're going to have another couple join us on our trip too. I'm very excited about Singapore and am now looking at the 2 resorts mentioned here and a couple of others. Just waiting to hear back...

I went to Lembeh in 2005 - first stayed at SDQ. But after three nights, being fed on by mosquitoes and the real low rate accommodation I packed my bags and moved over to Kunkungan Bay. Somewhere I read good food at SDQ – WOW, that surely does NOT sound like the same SDQ I stayed at! Sorry friends, but when I spend money and precious time for holiday; I want to enjoy it – everything. Nice bungalows, nice garden and efficient dive guides. Only sometimes noisy at night with the boats passing in and out of Bitung.

This year I wanted to go same, but they were fully booked. I then saw some good reports on AngloInfo forum and decided to try the new resort across the strait on Lembeh Island itself. Nomad Divers has the tallest DM I ever saw! To compare with any other resort is not really possible. Bernard and Julie really have a very special place and for me; I found the perfect dive resort.

Time went too quick and never a boring moment. Next time I will let Bernard win with chess1. I got shots of all the critters I wished – even some photos on the mating mandarin. Unfortunately we could not get the blue diamond: Rinopues Frondosa. Maybe we can catch him when we go back in May – Same time, same place where Bernard saw him last year.

Nomad does look interesting and I'm waiting to hear back from them. My predicament is this - no matter how amazing the creatures are at Lembeh, my wife will want to be able to dive some sites with really beautiful scenery, nice corals, etc. Its my understanding that that doesn't exist at Lembeh, but I would love to be wrong on this one.

So if we have to go to Bunaken to see that sort of stuff, how feasible is it that we stay at a resort for just 5 nights and then do the whole transfer thing back to Manado and meet up with our Bunaken operator there? That's my concern.

Back
Top Bottom