Manado recommendations wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People have a somewhat miss conception of Lembeh Strait. Although the strait is probably one of the best places in the world for muck diving; it is surely not restricted to that. There are huge coral gardens. The sea in front of SDQ has a coral garden of probably 1,000 x 150 meters. Between SDQ and KK Bay is another limestone island with large coral gardens. One much less known place is near the entrance to Nomad’s bay where there is a huge 2 sq/km garden between 1 and 8 meter depths.

Last time during my visit, Bernard took us on a day trip to the South of Lembeh. This location is seldom dived or even visited (Known)by any other resorts. There is a small island about 2 km from the Southern entrance to the bay where we found lots of large fish species, giant clams, and large soft coral – in clear 30 m viz. Further up along the Eastern coast there are many more places. At one location most of the guests were tired of diving, and while they enjoyed the snorkeling, we went down what looks like a deep fissure. Unfortunately air was limited and that was my last option for diving!

Thus, the scuba and water world in Lembeh is much more interesting that just the critters! My honest feeling – and experience – is that Lembeh strait is much better than Manado side.

I am very curious and hope to read your report on return – though I might meet with you at Nomad’s – I am feeling like an addict on withdrawals!

We also saw nice coral on KBRs House reef. Can't wait to go back.

I want to second the recommendation for Tasik Ria and KBR. My husband and I spent ten days in Indonesia in September, split between the two places. Bunaken is huge walls, covered in colorful corals, and shallow reefs decorated with spectacular crinoids and masses of reef fish. Tasik Ria's boats are well set up for cameras, with shelves for camera storage between dives, rinse tanks, and plenty of AC charging. Lembeh is the wierd and the wonderful, and sometimes, as in the case of the Mandarin Fish and the Banggai Cardinalfish, the utterly beautiful. KBR has a spectacular camera house, with 110 and 220 charging outlets and counter space with towels for everybody.

I loved KBR -- The resort is beautiful, made of native wood and stone that were generated from the process of building. The setting is lovely, looking out across the strait at Lembeh Island. The people were so nice, shy and always helpful. The food was excellent. And the variety of diving experiences was fabulous. The house reef was beautiful and VERY productive -- we saw frogfish, cardinalfish, ribbon eels, and I can't even remember what else there. I'd go back in a minute.

Transfer from Tasik Ria to KBR is routine, as many people split their stays. You go by bus, and they offer a village tour on the way if you are interested. The last day of our trip, we took a tour up to a national park to see the Spectrum Tarsier. It was a great trip through the countryside, and the tarsiers were absolutely darling.

Ssshhhh! Don't tell anyone - but they've got loads of critters Manado-side. The shoredives from lumbalumba and Tasik Ria house reef, plus sites like Poh-Poh. Hairy frogfish, ghost pipefish, sea horses, pygmy sea-horses, mandarin fish, nudibranchs, spanish dancers, orangutan crabs, octopus, cuttle fish, you name it - or rather you try to name it - spend hours with the books.

Hey just thought I'd chip in. Was with Nomad Adventure Divers just two weeks ago and they were great. Really enjoyed my trip with them, not only were Julia and Bernard great hosts, there's also Joe and Sandra, two more dive instructors/guides helping with the resort.

Good, clean resort, reasonably priced, very flexible diving (we had many 80-90 minute dives on Nitrox), and just the perfect dive holiday where you do whatever you want, whenever you want. We saw everything but the mimic octopus!

They are at info@nad-lembeh.com :) Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the great information! We are now booked with Nomad for the bulk of our trip and Bunaken Cha Cha for the last few days. I'm glad to hear anyother person had a good stay at Nomad.

Silk changed our flight from mid-afternoon to morning on the trip from Singapore to Manado, so we won't get to spend as much time in Singapore, but will have more time to dive on Lembeh. Since one couple wants to do some shopping and our Singapore schedule is tighter, we will likely spend about half of the day that we transfer from Lembeh to Bunaken looking around in Manado.

Err - wouldn't mention Manado and Singapore in the same breath shopping-wise. Manado is a typical, noisy, dusty town and we've never been hassled, and we like it. The market is - umm - unsophisticated - vegetables and lumps of meat - and don't get me wrong, worth a look around. Had trouble buying anything to take back to the folks at home, usually it is from one of the supermarkets, Sulawesi coffee, very nice coffee sweets, and some cheap CDs.

The shopping at Singapore Changi is excellent.

I saw, for the first time in my life, a roadside butcher with dog meat, bat, rat and assorted odd meats in manado's markets....it's an experience..... though not one I'd like to repeat.... but an experience nonetheless

Dog meat? thank heavens i didn't see that. Its a shame you don't have more time in Singapore if shopping is what you're after. It really is a shopper's paradise. (Not that I shop a lot but am surrounded by it!)

Am glad you booked with Nomad, they are smaller and cozier than the big operations. Hope you have a blast :)

Not for the squeamish. They have an interesting and foolproof way of keeping the meat fresh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom