Manado recommendations wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious too! I researched enough to not be surprised by the market cuisine and even saw somewhere that it was common to have dog as the main course after a wedding. Having that knowledge probably won't help a darn bit though if I come eye to eye with Fido in a Manado market. And I'll have to make sure there's plenty of distance between my wife and I so I don't get hurled on.

Seriously, we really will be looking more for handicrafts, etc vs electronics, but if I can find a good buy on the Canon EOS-1D Mark III....

Fresh dogs go woof. Just grab and there you are. Great version of Just In Time delivery.

Manado - handicrafts - very limited, bracelets and pendants and watch out that you are not buying shell-based stuff - and much of it is. And these really aren't "local" - they are more to please the small number of tourists. One year someone found a shop selling bells (large ones for boats etc) but I don't know if those were cast locally.

For handicrafts eg textiles like silk, jewellery, carvings, calligraphy etc - the shopping at Singapore Changi airport is way way better. Check out the airport web-site - there is lots of information.

scubabum2:
I'm curious too! I researched enough to not be surprised by the market cuisine and even saw somewhere that it was common to have dog as the main course after a wedding. Having that knowledge probably won't help a darn bit though if I come eye to eye with Fido in a Manado market. And I'll have to make sure there's plenty of distance between my wife and I so I don't get hurled on.

Seriously, we really will be looking more for handicrafts, etc vs electronics, but if I can find a good buy on the Canon EOS-1D Mark III....

Based on personal experience, prices for handicrafts and souveniors are cheaper and the selection larger at the airport in manado, as opposed to the markets. Theres quite alot of competition at the airport for your business, hence I suppose the lower prices...

I wouldn't recommend handicraft shopping at Changi airport, unless you're willing to pay through your nose....... :D

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anything cheaper in an airport. One exception - premium tequila at one shop in the San Jose del Cabo airport.

I want to third the recommendation for Tasik Ria and KBR. I was there for 10 days last July. Also, Ned Deloach, the guy that writes all of the fish identification books was there working on his Nudibrach book. I can't wait to see it!

Also, my wife and I got married at Tasik Ria. We were the first Americans to get married there. They did a fantastic job. The locals came and did a traditional dance routine for us. It was really special.

Go there...you will not regret it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom