Man have we been hearing whales on the dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

friscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
[vimeo]9453696[/vimeo]

Hopefully this works.. I hadn't had a camera in hand since about October and my wife let me try her 4 year old A620 yesterday. Won't win any awards for cinematography, I literally had the video on for 1 min 43 seconds during a short surface interval Captain's dive and it was surgey.

If this works, you can hear the whales in the background. It's louder outside the camera housing. We've been hearing whales on most of our dives this year. Very good year for whale sightings.

Aloha

Nice audio and shot of the eagle too. We were there 3 weeks ago and heard them on almost every dive over the course of a week. Especially loud when we were at "Suck em' Up" and "Golden Arches". Not so much down south though.

Where were you when you shot this?

That's so awesome. When I was at Catalina Island last summer we heard whales

Nice little eagle ray video.

I never get tired of hearing them while diving.
Once off Molokini a few years ago, they were all around us on the surface and super loud underwater.

On the next dive, my buddy hung back a little and did such a good whale song imitation, I whipped around expecting a whale to be right behind me.

Of course he thought that was hilarious - he wound up laughing so hard his mask started leaking.
And unfortunately, no, we didn't see them underwater.

Thanks Steve for giving me something to show my wife who has asked what they sound like under water.

The Kohala coast has been LOUSY with whales of late. I was just down at Holoholokai park at the Mauna Lani tonight and it was cetatean insanity. I see them breach every day just outside the Kawaihae breakwater. It's a bit of a driving hazard too with so many people driving along the shore trying to watch whales.

We've been hearing them every dive as well... that is.. when the surf calms down enough to shore dive. :depressed:

Thanks again man... good stuff.

-Eric

Where were you when you shot this?

We were down in Pawai Bay, off the old airport. It was one of the better places to be yesterday. The surf's calmed down now so other spots are open and have good viz again.

One note on the whales, the camera didn't seem to pick up the low sounds through the case. They have a nice deep base sound they make at times.

I forgot to mention... the good folks at the Jupiter Research Foundation in Puako have their buoys up and streaming whale sounds on the web. It's a little hectic out there right now for sure. When there are so many near the hydrophone I don't find the sound quite as soothing as I do when I'm under water.

Their webcam is pretty handy to see if Puako is divable from shore.

-Eric

Very cool!!! Did you find it frustrating to hear them but not be able to see them? I guess after searching as hard as you can, you'd settle down and appreciate just being able to hear them.

Very cool!!! Did you find it frustrating to hear them but not be able to see them? I guess after searching as hard as you can, you'd settle down and appreciate just being able to hear them.

Searching would be pretty fruitless, once you get past that idea (tried it once years ago before realizing you can hear them for miles and marine mammals are very well disquised against blue water) it's easy to just enjoy the sound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom