Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's really only 2 war wrecks divable by recreational divers, X127 and HMS Maori. All the other interesting war wrecks are 50m+ deep.
Divewise/Techwise are very good.

Hth
John

There's really only 2 war wrecks divable by recreational divers, X127 and HMS Maori. All the other interesting war wrecks are 50m+ deep.
This IS what all my research turns up, so I am putting forth my best efforts to make Advanced by the time the trip happens. I myself am going for two weeks, my friends for just one, so I plan on doing all the easier recreational dives with them, and then some harder wreck dives once they leave. But if AOW just isn't in the cards I will have a great goal set for future trips!

@Alucard483

Malta is a great diving destination. It is also a great destination if you are interested in History.
An additional bonus, if you are poor at languages, or only speak English, is that English is used extensively. Maltese is a blend of Italian and Arabic, which makes pronunciation of the place names interesting for those of us poor at languages.

In theory, they drive on the correct side of the road (the left), however, the Maltese tend to drive in the shade:).

Cirekewwa, is at the north of the Island, which is near the more touristy end of the Island, hence the popularity with the dive schools/shops. There is a mix of simple safe sites and slightly more adventurous sites.
Even those that are experienced I tend to recommend use a shop and guide initially, at least for the first few days. (I think you with your qualification level, you will need a guide anyway.)
I generally recommend Peter Lemon's book Scuba Diving Malta, Gozo, Comino. Although the maps are a curious format, once you get used to them they are very easy to follow.
One of Malta (and Gozo's) great strengths is the variety of shore diving sites.
The marine life is not as extensive or varied as the Red Sea, but it has improved year on year. Most people go for the wrecks, many of which have been intentionally sunk for divers.

The Maori, which is just outside Valetta, is a 'novice' dive. I find it very relaxing, although I have had an interesting dive here when the weather swung round unexpectedly.

I have always found it hard to do Gozo and Malta on the one visit. Generally, I have picked one or the other. Whilst Malta is quite laid back, Gozo is basically horizontal.

Medina is well worth a visit, both during the day and in the evening. Also Valetta and many other historic sites, back to the stone age.
If visiting the Churches, please remember that you are supposed to dress conservatively, Shirt, Trousers, full length skirt (i.e. minimal flesh showing).

If you are looking for a 'snack' then the Maltese pastizzi is inexpensive and tasty. They are generally backed fresh and available late morning (not in the afternoon), in bakeries, or pastizzi shops. i.e an early rather than a late lunch.

If you are looking for a 'snack' then the Maltese pastizzi is inexpensive and tasty. They are generally backed fresh and available late morning (not in the afternoon), in bakeries, or pastizzi shops. i.e an early rather than a late lunch.

Food in Malta is the worst part, terrible!

It is Arabic (60 - 70 %) mixed with some Italian, English. :)
:D

Some of the pastries are cracking. Still like the pasitizzi!!! The frustration with Maltese restaurants is that they change season to season. You find a good one this visit, then its not there next year :(.

:D

Some of the pastries are cracking. Still like the pasitizzi!!! The frustration with Maltese restaurants is that they change season to season. You find a good one this visit, then its not there next year :(.

I had better food in the UK, that tells you something :p

This will actually be my third trip to Malta, but the first trip I will be diving there, most of the time I go in winter to escape the cold. The history there is quite rich like you have said, and the food CAN be hit or miss, but as both a repeat visitor and chef I have a pretty good ability to navigate myself through the food scene and find something good. Ill be there for two weeks as well, so time really should not be an issue unless I choose to loaf about.

As for diving, I prefer to have someone that is intimately familiar with whatever sites we dive to come with, so I was kind of planning on having or hiring an instructor/guide to come out with us anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom