Malta.......January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's about $700 (or less) US, right?

I'll look into airfare.

I don't know what your style or the local economy are like... how much will you plan on spending for food? I've been known to spend over $150 per person at the right sushi bar for a dinner(last week in Vegas, for example...), but I get along just fine with a charred hotdog on a dirty stick with a cold beer, too. I'll be looking for the PM....

Abby,
Just wondering, are you guys going? You know Malta is where Malted Mike Balls come from. :wink:

We havent booked it yet - i have a feeling that we wont now - it sounds a tad too cold.

Plus now I'd have to take the time off work and my boss would be none-to-happy right now as I have only been working here for a month !!!!

The joys of responsibility!

I spent three months diving two-a-days in Malta this summer, and hit most every possible site multiple times. Tell me what operation you are diving with I'd I'll tell you what I know.

In January, the water will be cold :cold: . 5mm suit only if you are VERY cold tolerant with natural insulation of your own. I'd recommend a 7mm semi-dry for average builds, and a drysuit for you skinny folks.

What to expect diving:
Medical check for all divers (it's the law),
Friendly instructors lead all dives (also the law),
Beautiful topography including some caverns,
almost exclusively shore diving (boat trip to dive Comino),
long drives on poor roads to get to many sites,
a few nasty entry and exit points,
not a lot of marine life (overfished),
a few wrecks including an oil tanker at Wied iz Zurrieq,
only two dives a day unless you push for a night dive.

What to expect ashore:
January is off season, some tourist towns will be near empty,
Ham & cheese or tuna rolls for lunch at all food stands every day,
dinners from around $12 & up,
lots of history to be seen,
British-style food (sorry)

Any more questions? Just ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom