Malpelo - Ferox new Colombian liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kassj0peja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the Central America section a new Malpelo liveaboard boat called Ferox was mentioned. Does someone know more about this? I could not find pictures but saw on the website that they start in January.

Malpelo Island Liveaboards for 2018

We are starting in January 2018. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the Ferox or Malpelo.

From a page on your website, I see this about Malpelo Island:

"Malpelo is considered one of the best shark diving destinations on the planet. Massive schools of hammerhead, and silky sharks are found here along with Galapagos, White Tip, Whale sharks, Manta and Eagle rays, free-swimming Moray eels, as well as the reclusive Small tooth sand tiger."

It sounds a bit reminiscent of what I've read of Cocos Island diving.

Your site also says:

"Malpelo is one of the top diving sites in the world. It is a rock formation that belongs to an inter oceanic mountain range that is located inside a a Colombian National Park and in the largest no fishing zone in the Eastern Tropical Pacific. It is located three hundred miles from the Colombian mainland and is home to one of the most important coral formations of the Colombian Pacific Ocean. It is an oasis of life for native and migratory species.

Malpelo is a site for experienced divers. Covering currents can create very demanding conditions. All divers must have Advanced Open Water certification and a minimum of 50 dives in their logbooks."

Naturally, I wonder how many days your live-aboard trips here run, how many days are in transit to get there, what the cost of a trip is to be and about how many dives are likely to happen.

Two other big questions come up; if this is a new offering, why hasn't a live-aboard been working this area before, and what is that changing now?

Those questions might make a good start...

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Trips run 10 to 16 days in length. Transit time to Malpelo is 30 hours. 3 dives per day with exception of last day with only 2 dives. No night diving is permitted inside the sanctuary.

The destination is not new. Numerous operators over the years have offered trips to Malpelo. Please check out some of the videos on YouTube and I think you will get an idea of what makes Malpelo an amazing dive destination.

Regards,

Anthony

50 dives is the minimum. Dive logs are reviewed by both the Parks as well as our Divemasters prior to the trip. By the time most divers decide to dive Malpelo have already done Socorro, Galapagos, and Cocos.

From a page on your website, I see this about Malpelo Island:

"Malpelo is considered one of the best shark diving destinations on the planet. Massive schools of hammerhead, and silky sharks are found here along with Galapagos, White Tip, Whale sharks, Manta and Eagle rays, free-swimming Moray eels, as well as the reclusive Small tooth sand tiger."

It sounds a bit reminiscent of what I've read of Cocos Island diving.

Your site also says:

"Malpelo is one of the top diving sites in the world. It is a rock formation that belongs to an inter oceanic mountain range that is located inside a a Colombian National Park and in the largest no fishing zone in the Eastern Tropical Pacific. It is located three hundred miles from the Colombian mainland and is home to one of the most important coral formations of the Colombian Pacific Ocean. It is an oasis of life for native and migratory species.

Malpelo is a site for experienced divers. Covering currents can create very demanding conditions. All divers must have Advanced Open Water certification and a minimum of 50 dives in their logbooks."

Naturally, I wonder how many days your live-aboard trips here run, how many days are in transit to get there, what the cost of a trip is to be and about how many dives are likely to happen.

Two other big questions come up; if this is a new offering, why hasn't a live-aboard been working this area before, and what is that changing now?

Those questions might make a good start...

Richard.
The Yemaya liveaboard used to do it

Not necessarily. A recognized Dive Master cert. would meet the requirement.

I saw this Sea Save auction in which Ferox is participating. I find that really cool and would support this initiative but booked my vacation for 2018 already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom