Malpelo - Ferox new Colombian liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ferox is the newest option to go to Malpelo which has many distinct features over other large pelagic dive destinations around the world. Because of its remote geographical location, it attracts possibly a larger population of pelagics than any other known or accessible dive destination. It has been considered the Everest for divers since we first offered trips there aboard the Inzan Tiger in the 80's, followed by combination trips aboard the Sea Hunter fleet to Cocos and Malpelo and for the last ten years aboard the Yemaya and Inula operating from Panama. One post above asks why there are not more liveaboards operating there and this is the main reason - the end of 2017 sees an end to any boats operating there other than from Columbia and as they only permit one boat to be at Malpelo at any one time - it has meant that none of the major fleets can afford to invest in a profitable operation with such limitations of when they can be there. The Ferox is Colombian registered, although recently sailed across the Atlantic from Europe, and is designed as stable and comfortable deep sea boat that can cope with almost any weather conditions. Her captain and crew have many years of experience at sea, as do her guides at Malpelo. We have clients on her first trip and on subsequent trips and will keep this forum posted on those adventures. I personally would not want to send divers to Malpelo with just 50 dives, but much depends on the individual and their personal experience - I think the boat is very safety conscious but anyone who goes there should be aware that they may find strong currents and sometimes agitated sea conditions, and like Darwin + Wolf, they may have to make negative entry descents in strong currents in order to get into the protection of the rocks and boulders. They may encounter thermoclines where the temperature difference can be 10-15 degrees C. At its best, Malpelo is as good as it gets but it should be a destination that divers strive to attain after gaining experience in other similar destinations. You can see more about the Ferox on our website, as well as her availability Ferox and feel welcome to contact me directly if you would like to consider thus destination and want more details.

Their video makes me think very positive about the future of liveaboard diving in Malpelo in the future.

Seems to be a nice boat.
Quite expensive, but less than other boats going there from Costa Rica. (only Colombian boats are allowed now)
For those how have booked, please give an "abrazo" to J-Lo, divemaster of the Ferox, from Pierre & Amparo.

Here is a video from Malpelo from 2016, I had the pleasure of diving with Jaime who is now involved in the Ferox boat, very competent guide indeed and from the pics and specs this boat should be well suited. Go, you will not regret it!

Reactions: CZS
FEROX had its first expedition to Malpelo. Right now we are busy to get the final works before the second trip done. Take a look at this video from one of our clients. Photos will follow soon. Thanks Mark M Gottlieb

Wow! :thumb:

Good luck, Colombia Dive Adventures!

I'm working on getting the necessary skills and confidence to do one of your trips. :D

That is the reason why we equip each of our divers with a McMurdo Smartfind S10 personal locator beacon with a radius of 6 miles. Our up to 12 guests share two 6 m RIBs and the third RIB stays at the boat but is always ready to get started. Safety is our highest priority.

Even the props had a safety shroud around them! Good for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom