Male Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a single female diver with a couple of dive buddies. Both male and female. I've never had an issue until recently. His gf wasn't thrilled. We've tried to include her in our activities as much as we can as she's not a diver (BBQ at the beach or lay out on the boat) and I've let it be known there is no romantic interest at all. She seems to be coming around, but time will tell.

Single female diver and my dive buddy/best friend just got a girlfriend.... she's not a diver. We've never met. Reeeeally not sure how this is going to go - stay tuned! lol

I originally got certified when a co-worker suggested I join him on a 2 for 1 deal. It turned out he wanted to get certified because he was hot for a girl who was a mongo diver; she dove whenever she could. It worked, 'cause they got married, and haven't been diving since. (kids. job, other interests) I never really forgave him for taking her out of the sport; there was a shortage of cute female divers in the 70s.

I am a newbie single female diver and started this activity because of a male friend who suggested that we would vacation more if I got certified. Well, I have my cert and now he can't travel more. Or at all, but that is a discussion for another day. I can't be mad at him since he led me to this activity and I truly love it.

So, needless to say, come next spring/summer I will be looking for a local dive buddy and I know that I will most likely find a male buddy which is fine with me. So long as we get along and their SO knows that I am not interested in my dive buddy that way, I think it will be OK. I spent 10 years in the military and have many guy friends throughout the world. I have never had a problem with the SO's of those guys so I should not have a problem in the dive community as well. Now, if my dive buddy and/or other guys in my local dive community do not have a SO and we get along and are mutually attracted to each other, all the better for us. Maybe I can have a new hobby and boyfriend/life partner all at the same time. Then I will really say thank you to my male friend who got me into this addicting sport.

However, if I find a female dive buddy that would be great also. Hopefully I just find a dive buddy who I get along with (and who gets along with me), can dive with the same frequency, and we like the same types of dives.

So,

1) are you a married/committed or single woman diver?
2) does your hubby/SO dive?

I have a partner who does not dive.

If he DOES NOT DIVE, do you dive exclusively with other women or do you find the nearest buddy and hit the water, regardless of gender? Do you do nearby weekend / travel dive trips with your buddy (appropriate lodging of course) or do you simply do a single dive trip for a few hours?

My regular buddy is male and pretty much all of the divers I have dived with have been male also. I was buddied with a female during my OW course and since I have dived with two other women, (I met them on scubaboard actually!) a few weeks ago. Gender is not something I have really thought about, and I had to go look in my log at my buddies as it had never occured to me that I had rarely dived with females!

Me and my regular buddy dive one day each weekend and once a fortnight for a midweek night dive. I've done dive trips interstate with him a few times before and we'll be doing a trip overseas next year to PNG. A few of my friends (they tend to be mainly male too) say they would never let their girlfriend/wife/etc spend so much time with another man so I am really lucky my partner and my buddy's wife aren't the jealous types! :) I haven't been interested in any of the guys I dive with beyond wanting them as a dive buddy so I really see gender as a non-issue for me. My partner has never brought it up as an issue so I doubt he worries about it either.

Now single again male diver here who has dated two female divers. The first short relationship was with an aspiring DM/Instructor who took off for the Virgin Islands to work, and the latest longer term interest was certified while we dated over the past year. Outside of the those two relationships, I have mostly dived with other guys or large groups dominated by men. Living in S FL helps for keeping it mixed up a bit, but there seems to be an even smaller number of women involved in technical diving. Neither SO would have had a problem with me diving with female buddies. It probably boils down to having passions in common and not really a gender thing. I have to admit though, you girls look a lot better in wetsuits than my guy dive buddies. :)

Thanks Princess.

Who can be independently wealthy in this economy. :( I would only want to be so I could dive and vacation more often anyway.

My dive shop is great in that they do training dives every other weekend at the local quarry and like it when other divers come along. They are great at finding buddy's for those who dont have one on those days. I look forward to connecting with people from this site also to have new buddies to dive with also. I will be looking for someone when I go to Fort Lauderdale in January to do my AOW dives.

I am ecstatically married 28 years, and my wife does not dive.

I am old fashioned. I do not dive alone with female divers, because I don't do anything alone with a female that is not my wife (teams of three are fine). It's just a respect thing for both my wife and the other female - it's what my dad raised me to do. Pragmatically, I have seen other men and women get into trouble with stuff like this, too.

Unfortunately, I have unintentionally offended a couple of females who do not understand this.

Back
Top Bottom