Male Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove mostly with males in groups (not many women diving at that time)...I started going out with my future husband because we both needed dive partners...we clicked as dive partners (both independent divers)..then we discovered we had other interests in common...he was a ski instructor and taught me to ski...we backpacked and fished..

We married a year after we met and we are still each others best friends (28yrs)..we bought a boat and go to mexico to live and dive and fish every summer for a month or so..when he got his instructors cert. I got my DM so I could assist him...I can't imagine being married to a non diver..we both are passionate about our diving and so we are on the same page on how we spend the money (equipment) and vacation destinations (dive spots)...

:Dyou are the perfect sounding dive partner. I have worked my way up to PADI Rescue Diver, allthough I have logged 18 dives. i live in Ft. Lauderdale, and prefer the tropics my self. I admie you safety conciousness, and respect for the environment. I am a single diver, and allways get paired up with some ding aling who kicks the reefs, or uses a peice of wreckage on a wreck to try and make a lobster come out of a whole

Attachments

• 001_1a.JPG
    001_1a.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 89
I am ecstatically married 28 years, and my wife does not dive.

I am old fashioned. I do not dive alone with female divers, because I don't do anything alone with a female that is not my wife (teams of three are fine). It's just a respect thing for both my wife and the other female - it's what my dad raised me to do. Pragmatically, I have seen other men and women get into trouble with stuff like this, too.

Unfortunately, I have unintentionally offended a couple of females who do not understand this.

While it's your decision, and doesn't offend me, I'm pretty glad you're in a very small minority! In my line of work, it's just me and my male partner (my EMT/ambulance driver/lifter of heavy objects/person who buys me coffee) and I'd be screwed if he refused to ride with me just because I lack "the beans and frank" LOL

As a female who has a non-diving significant other, I rarely lack diving buddies. Of course, I'm careful...when meeting a new buddy for the first time, I make sure it's in a well populated area (such as the local quarry), and if I'm insecure about it, I'll bring along a friend or my boyfriend...he really doesn't mind hanging around on the surface while I'm diving, as long as I don't ask him to do it too often.

My male dive buddies don't seem to mind the fact that I'm female...they rarely have to help me lift cylinders and such.

It's just a matter of being prudent...any female who works or travels alone needs to be mindful of her surroundings and careful when meeting strangers in isolated areas.

Of course, anyone who dares mess with me would meet the business end of a rather large Mag Lite :no:

I'm a married woman who loves to dive with my husband most.

We go on dive vacations together. On days when I want to do more dives than him, the gender of my dive buddies is not the issue for either one of us - pace (I am glacially slow, a near perfect buddy for a photographer) and safety are the issues.

Since the ratio of divers most places we've been has been around men 4:1 women, spare dive buddies tend to be men, both for him and for me.

While my wife dives and is generally my buddy on dive vacations, she is a fair water diver. Give her the Red Sea or the Caribbean. If I want to dive locally, I always have to find a buddy. In the last year or so, that has tended to be female for various reasons. My wife has no problem with that. What she does have a problem with is any female dive buddy I have had from before she met me. Go figure.

This is a timely discussion for me because I am currently looking for a female dive buddy/roommate for March Bonaire trip with my local dive shop. This will be my 5th year diving and I am determined to make it to Bonaire even if I have to pay the $400 single supplement for having a room to myself for a week.

My husband has a lot of health problems, doesn't dive, snorkel or swim, and doesn't particularly like to travel by air. He isn't interested in going on an expensive dive trip where I'll be diving alot and leaving him alone, but he is very supportive of my hobby. He does like to cruise where we can spend alot of time together except for the port days when I go diving.

My first buddy was a male coworker that I took lessons with and we did go on a dive trip to Cozumel together. My husband was ok with it because he knew him and knew the guy was in a committed relationship. Since my buddy had to stop diving due to health reasons, I generally dive with whoever is available male or female (mostly male). I'd rather not room with guys on a dive trip if possible mostly out of respect for my husband and all the raised eyebrows (including my Mom's).

If any ladies are interested in going to Bonaire with me, PM me or email me at pam.williamson@knology.net for more details. I've posted this type of message all over scubaboard, so don't be surprised if you see my buddy request elsewhere on SB.

We married a year after we met and we are still each others best friends (28yrs)..we bought a boat and go to mexico to live and dive and fish every summer for a month or so..when he got his instructors cert. I got my DM so I could assist him...I can't imagine being married to a non diver..we both are passionate about our diving and so we are on the same page on how we spend the money (equipment) and vacation destinations (dive spots)...

alibi, Congrats! Always happy & encouraging to hear of happy marriages!

Am more happily married now that my hubby also dives. We just have so much more to share! He does like travelling but he was afraid of water, after a near-drowning accident at 12. Oct 2006, I finally managed to persuade him to take up Discover Scuba at Phi Phi & his interest was roused when he met turtles & leopard shark! When we came back from the trip, we worked on his swimming & water threading. He at last got certified in Lembeh in Nov last year. This Apr, he took AOW in Bohol. In Aug we went to Bali & in Dec, we will be at Malapascua. We are just a couple of happy vacation divers! :blinking:
He doesn't have problems with my dive buddies (mostly guys). However, I found that it was a hassle to accomodate other people's vacation schedule, preferences & (their lack of) budget etc... Therefore, my hubby is my first choice dive vacation buddy!

I am a single female diver with a SO who is OWSI. In fact my 2 previous SO's were OWSI... ummm does anybody see a pattern here? The current SO occaisionally offers to carry my tank, guess that is why he is still current (just kidding luv!!!). It is interesting though I think I only dived 6 times in my life with a female buddy - not out of choice, there just aren't enough of us!

...there just aren't enough of us!

I have seen this changing over the years, thankfully. Though I must admit, I had to find a buddy when my wife refused to dive Lac Leman.

Most dedicated divers want to dive as often as possible, male or female!!!! The more dive buddies one gets to know the more diving you will probably do. Maybe your SO can understand this. As a male, I have been very fortunate to dive with numerous female buddies that are really extraodinary skilled and safe divers. Being a gentleman in all respects is most important to the scuba diving mission.

Back
Top Bottom