Male Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gNats

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Ladies,

Okay, I'm looking for a fun topic here.

Based on the sport - I believe it would be a fair statement to say that overall there are more men than woman diving. And, depending on the location of said woman, probably more men (married and single) than women per quarry/lake/river/stream.

I'm not married and not in a relationship so I don't think anything about calling up a male diver and asking if he is interested in going diving.

However, diving is a consideration of mine when I do meet single men. So, I'm curious (and bored at work) how other woman handle diving when their hubby does not. Plus, not every couple does EVERYTHING together. It is common to have different hobbies.

So,

1) are you a married/committed or single woman diver?
2) does your hubby/SO dive?

If he DOES NOT DIVE, do you dive exclusively with other women or do you find the nearest buddy and hit the water, regardless of gender? Do you do nearby weekend / travel dive trips with your buddy (appropriate lodging of course) or do you simply do a single dive trip for a few hours?

If you are a SINGLE woman diver, do you dive with whoever is available, or do you draw lines between gender or marital status?

It is obvious from the many postings that it is very common for men to have wives/SOs that do not dive, and yet they are off diving at any opportunity they can find a buddy.

If there are any men reading the forum, go ahead, chime in. Do you think twice before hitting the water with a female dive buddy?

:popcorn:

I am single female diver. I have several male dive buddies, some are married. I have gone on international trips with them and have even been roomies with two of them. We operate as dive buddies only, they are my friends and I have no interest in them otherwise. I always make sure that they get their wives nice gifts. I am also friends with the wives and since I am a more experienced diver and a medical professional, they have said they feel more secure that I am diving with them.

I'm a man and generally a solo diver, but have a number of female buddies whose SO's do not dive. There is no romantic relationship with any of them (hopefully that is obvious since they are either married or in committed relationships). I have traveled with several of them and generally room with them, and they stay with me when they come to the island to dive (their SO's are also welcome). I am honored to know that their SO's consider me "safe" and trust me and their SO's with no questions asked.

Given the current gender ratio in our favorite activity, many women will undoubtedly be put in a situation where they want to find a dive buddy and males will be the only available candidates. If you are serious about diving with the males as friends, have the trust of your SO, and trust the male buddy you choose, it should be a non issue.

Of course I'm still looking for my ultimate dive buddy... the one with "benefits" (and I'm not simply referring to the usual connotations).

Of course I'm still looking for my ultimate dive buddy... the one with "benefits" (and I'm not simply referring to the usual connotations).

Hey Dr. Bill,

I'm still looking for that gorgeous-weathy-scuba girl to introduce you to!

However, I saw another thread with photos of your wetsuit today.... um, yeah. Enough said. :shocked2:

lol. And I am jealous. I hope to get enough dives in to reduce my equipment to shreds!

I am also single, have no SO, or even dating. I dive with both married & single men & even occasionally some women. Like posted above, I'm not looking for any kind of romantic relationship, just want to dive. I usually contact most of my male dive buddies via the Internet on a local dive club's board. We usually plan our dives 2- 3 weeks in advance.

Now Bill, we ALL know what you mean by "benefits".
Admit it, it's the same with most all of us.

A great buddy with "benefits" should include a well equipt boat
and crew with a compressor and manifold for gas mixes.

Oh, and an extra drysuit in your size
doesn't hurt any "buddy's" feelings either.

The only other requirement be that they be close
enough to help if/when "it" hits the fan.

I am married and my spouse also dives. Granted, he didn't have much of a choice. I booked us on a liveaboard in Australia and told him if he'd be pretty bored if he didn't get certified. :rofl3::rofl3: He did and lucky for me he loves the sport!

I've done essentially all my diving with my spouse and absolutely love diving with him, but will admit that I'd love to meet some female divers to spend time with underwater too. A "girls' day under" sort of thing seems fun. I'd have no problems diving with other men as long as we were well-matched as dive buddies. Can't see traveling with them, tho.

I'm married, and my husband dives, but not as much as I do -- nor does he want to do some of the dives I enjoy. So I have a reasonable large circle of dive buddies, and almost all of them are men. Most are married or in relationships. To my knowledge, diving with me has not been an issue for any of them with their SOs. (In fact, my most regular diving and training buddy's wife told me, when I met her, "Oh, I'm so glad Kirk is diving with you! You're a SAFE diver, and he used to dive with unsafe people.")

I have done almost all of my dive travel with my husband, but I did take a trip to Mexico last year with a couple who are friends of ours, and another single (male) diver. I shared a room with him. No romance intended or involved, and my husband was fine with it. He knows about diving.

I'm just starting to work out the dynamics of my dive relationship with my husband. I talked him into taking diving, I like it more, I'm better at it.

He does like it, so I alway want to default to going with him, but I feel somewhat guilty if he can't go, and I still plan to. Mostly because of the difference in skills that will be forming if I'm diving twice as much as him.

If I could dive close to here (without cutting a hole in the ice - I'm not ready for that!!) This likely wouldn't be a problem. But our dive opportunities are surrounded by at least 4hrs on a plane; all of my dives will be in "dive trips" for the next 6 months or so.

Jeff wouldn't have any problem missing a couple dives if I go with Steve to the lake nearby, but when I'm going to another country, meeting a guy named Juan, and diving for the week with him, I bet his enthusiasm will diminish. :wink:

Jeff wouldn't have any problem missing a couple dives if I go with Steve to the lake nearby, but when I'm going to another country, meeting a guy named Juan, and diving for the week with him, I bet his enthusiasm will diminish. :wink:

Adds a whole new meaning to the term Cabana Boy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom