Maldives-Need comments and advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outlawaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, we finally booked it. After weeks of going round and round between American Airlines and the various dive operators we managed to get a trip put together. It's amazing how hard it is to book a trip using miles....Anyway, my wife and I are set to spend a week on the Maldives Aggressor in Late April/Early May. I would love to hear any comments or advice of the Aggressor or the Maldives. Thanks in advance.

Check your air ... see the accident section.

I am based in the ari atol.

Few things

1.Water temp is 29degree celsius so i would use 3mm wetsuit. especially doing repetative dives
2.There can often be very strong currents so makes sure bring an smb that can be deployed from at least 5m for safety stop when you will be drifting off the reef
3.I dont know the route of the aggressor but April may is just past the manta season on our side( middle west ari)
4.The maximum depth here is 30m( by law) so dont be tempted or convinced into doing dives deeper.
5. If possible dive nitrox. You will definitely see the benefits here. many dives multi level starting at 30m

Oh and for bribes bring chocolates and sweets for dive guides.

Thanks for the info. The Aggressor has two itineraries. We won't know which one we will be diving until we get there. The first is of North Malé, South Malé, Felidoo Atolls and the second is of the Ari Atoll. Thanks again for the info.

Ty

Hi Ty

Recently the Maldives has come under a great deal attention due to issues with bad air and a group of divers and the tragic loss of life for one of the divers; my heartfelt thoughts go out to all thoses involved.

I cannot comment on the Aggressor; sorry. However; due to fly out later this month for our 8th trip and for us it's the perfect holiday destination and it's safe to say we love it!

We've done a mix of island resort, resort/liveaboard combined and last year and this year we will be doing 12 nights liveaboard; and even though all our visits have been fantastic the liveaboard for us is the best way to see and dive the Maldives.

In 12 days we dived 7 atolls and had some amazing dives. On the last visit we had Manta's on nearly every dive; it got a bit like 'manta soup' they were coming in thick and fast. They were even around the boat late at night putting on a performance...awesome!

We were also lucky to see those 'big spotty things'...whalesharks, sharks, dolphins, sail fish and some very big barracuda and I mean big....huge!

The dives can be exciting to say the least and nearly every dive is a drift dive and with alot of them being negative entry. There can be some strong currents but it all adds to the experience; some divers use reef hooks (don't want to fall into heated debate on this matter) but each to thier own.

Most Maldivian liveaboards offer 3 dives per day; and the wake up call is usually 06.00 but hay apart from diving and eating the rest of the time is spent chilling and sleeping so I suppose it's ok!

Don't forgo a dive so you can visit Male; do the dive as your really not going to miss much on Male.

You normally get to go to a tourist island for cocktails one evening; very nice!

Some dive operators/liveaboards request you use a smb on every dive
Max 30m depth
Water temp can vary between 27 > 31 (last night dive as 31)
Cannot take alachol into the country

If you require any other info then please come back to me.
Vicky

Vicky,

Thanks for the update. My wife and I are looking forward to the trip. Your info is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Ty

Hi Ty,

About the "prohibition".
As in any country, you get to go thru customs. What's unusual is that you have to put your luggage through the same sort of X-ray machines used in pre-flight security checks before entry, including your checkin luggage. Once you're caught with booze on your hands, you're expected to either leave it in bond 'til you leave the country, or let it be confiscated.

One other thing.
Incase you're one of the DIR guys, bring a computer. I've been in the Maldives five times, all in different island resorts, and in every case the dive shop mandated that each diver bring at least one dive computer for himself/herself. I don't remember if it is mandated by law (like the 30m/100ft bottom), but the rule seemed to be well observed.

Don't mean to be an "I know it all" guy, but just in case nobody told you.

Back
Top Bottom