Malaria on Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because in the U.S., that CAD$17 pill is probably US$100. Add in a doctor's office visit and it's not so cheap anymore. Ya gotta love our health "care" system.

You may want to tslk to your local pharmacy before making yourself look any sillier<sp>
. Even withoout insurance Chloroquine or the equivalent is cheap and if you have any type of regular doctor it should only take a phone call and not a visit. if costs are an issue then they can just get it on Roatan for about $1US per dose.

Last edited:
We have been to Roatan two times and will be there in December. We visit a medical doctor who specializes in tropical medicine each time Roatan shows up on the "World Malaria Map" the prescription for Cholorquinen costs me $17.00 Canadian 1 pill before you leave, 1 pill while you are there, 1 pill for 4 weeks upon return. Given the costs and the relative ease of use why would you not take the "safe route"
I go for one week at a time, so there is also a dose on departure day as well as arrival day. Unless you got different instructions than our CDC suggests: 1 a week before, 1/week there, 1/week for 4 following.
Because in the U.S., that CAD$17 pill is probably US$100. Add in a doctor's office visit and it's not so cheap anymore. Ya gotta love our health "care" system.
Nah, generic is pretty cheap. A druggist once tried to substitute what he had handy that was expensive and I got upset, but we settled that. He ordered what I wanted.

Or use the Dr's prescription to order online from Canada.

Not really concerned, Don. The online pharmas ARE cheap, esp the ones that'll ship to the U.S. I think we're talking about the "legal" route here. The side effects of most of the prophylactic treatments sound scarier than the actual malaria.....although I might be up for the one that causes hallucinations.

Not really concerned, Don. The online pharmas ARE cheap, esp the ones that'll ship to the U.S. I think we're talking about the "legal" route here. The side effects of most of the prophylactic treatments sound scarier than the actual malaria.....although I might be up for the one that causes hallucinations.
Well, I have been known to acquire prescription meds that way - from suppliers that don't require prescriptions, but they're not considered as safe. If you do order that way, double check what you get is what you thot you were supposed to get, that age of med is ok, and hope they were stored safely.
Yeah, I get a lot of drugs that way really and will for my Chloroquine.

Chloroquine rarely produces problems, other than upset stomach if you don't take it on a full stomach maybe? The drugs for the areas with Chloroquine resistant malaria can be tougher, but never is the prophylactic worse than malaria. You hear that, but it's not true. Here is the US CDC list of countries with malaria prophylactic suggestions: Chapter 2 - Malaria Risk Information and Prophylaxis, by Country - 2010 Yellow Book | CDC Travelers' Health

I would not take doxycycline as it increases sun sensitivity to the skin. Boy did I burn in Hawaii that way once, taking it for another use. Some doctors prescribe the drugs for Chloroquine resistant areas when Chloroquine is suggested; I'm guessing they don't bother to look it up, but I could be wrong - just seems like an overkill with possible problems.

You also hear that malaria is rare on Roatan so the risk is not worth the bother of the med. That list says "Present throughout the country at altitudes <1000 m (<3,281 ft) and in Roatán and other Bay Island. None in Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula" but then there are other ways to reduce the risks.

LOL...gotta love ya, RTB, you're such a bitter guy....at least you're consistent.

Bitterness has nothing to do with it yet I do find it somewhat unsavory when people give innacurate information and then get offended when they are corrected.

Last edited:
. I think we're talking about the "legal" route here. The side effects of most of the prophylactic treatments sound scarier than the actual malaria.....although I might be up for the one that causes hallucinations.

Again,
If costs is really that big of a deal then just buy one pill before your trip and get the rest, complely legal, at one of the many farmacias on the Island. As far as side effects, is there ANY drug that does not list "possible" side effects that sound scary? Heck, simple aspirin has a full page of "possible" side effects on the WHO website. I have never noticed any effects, nor has any friends or family

We bow to your all knowing authority, Eric.

No need to bow, this is readilly available information for anyone to obtain. I would think those in the business end would be more aware of the facts and options availale. Google can be your friend as can simply learning a bit about the island and area, HECK, Woody's just down the road from your place sells chloroquine and there may even be others closer. Maybe instead of thinking I am bitter you may want to realize there is a lot you can learn to benefit others, I mean come on, how can you be a business owner in West End and not know the facts about this type of thing? If your posts were accurate I would never have had to point out your mistakes that seems to upset you

Eric, I had a long winded response, but on further thought decided against posting it. Pig wrestling's not for me. Whatever, dude, have a good night. I'll have a beer for ya. I'll be checking your posts for accuracy going forward. Have a good night. Oh wait, I repeated myself.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom