Malapascua trip, June 03 to 08 2011 – some words and pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awesome report! it was very detailed. i see malapascua and the underwater as i was reading this... i wish i can go there by next year once i get certified as an AO diver. thank you for this!

Ok so its dive in September next year for me then!! Staying away form that 21c stuff :)
Matt Yep 21 C no fun -- I only survive it as I have a vest with a heating element running through it - so as warm as toast :D -- If you do head here for a trip, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction - Orchid & Green Islands are the best diving, and just off Kenting site called 7 stars is an awesome dive site, but a site that can only be dived on when the currents and tides are exactly right, very seasonal. Cheers

awesome report! it was very detailed. i see malapascua and the underwater as i was reading this... i wish i can go there by next year once i get certified as an AO diver. thank you for this!
passionatediver, glad you liked, a little bit of a long report, but one of those places I could write pages about, and wish I could read similar reports from lots of the other many locations in your great islands. Matt above runs another dive centre on Malapascua, maybe go do your AOW there ?

Cheers and safe diving

I did my first (3) dives today on Cabilao Island which is more then a (4) hour R/T slow boat ride. I do not recommend this expensive trip.(1000 pecos fuel charge) The 'Lighthouse wall' north & south plus the 'Falling tree' dive sites were actually below average of what I have experienced the first two months on Cebu. As for lodging it is expensive(cheap food) on Alona beach but I found a great place for a month about (15) minute walk to the D/S. Also cut a super deal with the D/S manager thanks to a very helpful fellow SB'er I met here! PM me if you would like the datails.

I like Alona Beach as well - I found a 700ph/night room (Alona Garden Beach Resort - I think) close to Philippine Fun Divers at Lost Horizon Resort. Plenty of fresh seafood grilled near the beach. I love the variety of eels there - shows there is a good amount of fish to eat for everybody.

passionatediver, glad you liked, a little bit of a long report, but one of those places I could write pages about, and wish I could read similar reports from lots of the other many locations in your great islands. Matt above runs another dive centre on Malapascua, maybe go do your AOW there ?

Cheers and safe diving

Actually, I was almost about to protest about your first paragraph. LOL. You got me there too! I do understand you because if I can write pages on my dive log book (yeah I sort of made it like my diary) after every dive, how much more if you've been to really great places like Malapascua. Good timing about persuading me to have my AOW in Malapascua because I havent decided yet on where to. Well that is if Matt is going to give me a friendly deal :D I super hope to dive Malapascua super soon!

Actually, I was almost about to protest about your first paragraph. LOL. You got me there too! I do understand you because if I can write pages on my dive log book (yeah I sort of made it like my diary) after every dive, how much more if you've been to really great places like Malapascua. Good timing about persuading me to have my AOW in Malapascua because I havent decided yet on where to. Well that is if Matt is going to give me a friendly deal :D I super hope to dive Malapascua super soon!

Good, I've been to Malapascua 12 time so far. Make sure to save up enough to get Nitrox certified too. You will have more bottom time when you dive at Monad Shoal for Threshers and Mantas. There is a lot more than that to see at Monad too, I spent at least 15 minutes trying to get a descent shot of a mushroom coral pipefish during a manta dive. If you know the critter it riggles around a lot so just getting in in the frame is tough especially when zoomed in for macro.

. There is a lot more than that to see at Monad too, I spent at least 15 minutes trying to get a descent shot of a mushroom coral pipefish during a manta dive. If you know the critter it riggles around a lot so just getting in in the frame is tough especially when zoomed in for macro.

jbb - you mean this one :D - did you manage to get closer ?

IMG_52933.jpg

Great trip report Wantonmein.

If you were going again were would you stay and who would you dive with?

Cheers,

Terry,

Thanks, and nice to look back on the dive trips hey.

If and when I head back to Malapascua, though a bit expensive I probably stay at same hotel I mentioned, and would probably try and sort out the diving with Matt who runs Evolution diving, to see if he could offer different dives, at lower cost.

Came back from Anilao a month or so ago, and also posted a trip report about it, no sharks, but great varied diving there also.

Cheers

Great trip report Wantonmein.

If you were going again were would you stay and who would you dive with?

Cheers,

Thanks Wantonmein,

I'll check out that trip report but I don't think we'll be anywhere near Anilao, I'm sure it will be another good trip report to review. Right now looking at Malapascua Moaboal and either of Dauin or Sogod bay. Any suggestion on dive ops and places to stay for the other areas would be greatly appreciated, not to mention travel methods.

Terry

Terryb,

We did a Moalboal / Mactan trip last December, from Cebu (Mactan) airport got the Moalboal dive centre (Savedra) to get a car to pick us up, and after a few days diving Moalboal, headed back up to Mactan to dive with their 'sister' dive centre (Kontiki), 30 mins from Mactan airport - have a look these lnks -

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...alboal-december-2-4-2010-some-pics-words.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...n-cebu-december-4-7-2010-some-words-pics.html

No problem with either Savedra or Kontiki, and good diving at both locations, accomodation at Moalboal was 'OK' and centrally based in the small village, whereas at Mactan we'd planned just a day there and then Bohol, but finding Mactan diving was better than expected, knocked Bohol idea on the head and blew the budget on a 5* hotel in Mactan, and got Kontiki to take us over to Talima Sanctuary. All links I think are in the two posts above.
--

Dauin/Dumaguette - we were also went last year late May 2010, with a small group, and organised by Glenn Carballo who runs Diveworx - Dive Apo Island
and lives there. Glenn has a deal with "Private Residence" hotel, very nice place, decent rooms, great pool, on the beach, so he booked us in there and organised excellent diving for us taking the Banka direct from the hotel around Dauin for the muck diving, and day trips over to Apo island, Sigjour and other places. If going with a smallish group I doubt you'd be disappointed sorting your trip through Glenn, note though that the hotel was deathly quiet when we were there, which was OK for us but if you are after nightlife also, it is not the place to stay. Never got around to posting a Dauin/Dumguette trip report - think I was too busy planning the next trip :D

Sogod bay - I've not been to, so if you make it there hope to read a trip report.

If you need more info on the above, drop me a PM.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom