Malapascua trip, June 03 to 08 2011 – some words and pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info....interesting way of looking at it. I believe most divers don't consider how many dives they do base don nitrox use or not....so overall it doesn't make sense to use it as a loss leader in a small dive shop where margins are already tight. But I think your point is valid, and there should be discounts for volume use and things like that.

I'm happy to see that we fall in the mid range at P225 per tank :)

Where do you dive in Taiwan, I thought there really wasn't much boat diving?

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt, No worries. We tend to dive using Nitrox all the time, and so final bill for 2 divers x 4 days diving x all the 'extras', and this time our dives actually cost more than flights + hotel + food .. :depressed: .. but such is lfe, and it's back to working to pay for the next one and eating bread and water to economise !

Regardless of costs, we thought Malapascua was an excellent place, excellent diving and will head back there again at some point in next 12 months or so, how far away from the Ocean Vida are you by the way ? We saw the signs to your place but never wandered along that direction.

Re Taiwan, not many post in the Taiwan forum, as we are 'off the dive radar' a bit, but yes a fair amount of good boat diving, in past few months I've been boat diving off Green Island, Orchid Island (both of which have dive centres on), Turtle Island (it's volcanic so dive through underwater hot springs and sulphur flumes - very weird and unique !) on an east coast dive boat, the DM of which tells me there is a diveable large warship wreck at around 35 m further down the coast, and down at Kenting there are several dive boats heading out to various sites around the coast and in the bay there.

Don't want to hijack the Philippine forum, but I've posted a I've posted a couple of 'dive reports' from Taiwan you might want a look at -

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/taiwan/377529-orchid-island-trip-report-april-2-5-2011-a.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/taiwan/380070-wild-sex-spawning-pink-leaf-scorpions.html
and up North off the beach -
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/taiwan/387062-longdong-bay-n-e-coast.html

No Threshers, but this year in Taiwan, I've swum with Hammerheads, seen White tips, eagle rays, tuna, huge pods of dolphins, huge groupers etc and in Kenting bay in last month or so there have been sightings of a Whale Shark, Leopard sharks and just up the coast several Bull sharks were caught in nets .. so, despite the fact the waters are over fished and shark fin is still on the menu, diving here is good.

Cheers, and safe diving.

Nice Report! Love Malapascua!
I read on another forum about the high cost of Nitrox too... Couldn't believe my eyes! Did USD depreciate by 50% in the last 3-4 years?? Well, guess we should pay world-class rates for world-class diving... Everywhere the cost of living has gone up! :shakehead: I should forget about the days that we used to pay less than US$30 for a boat dive + guide...

Malapascua in IMPO is overpriced on food,lodging & diving compared to Moalboal & Dumaguete/Dauin. Also the diving is overrated as far as viz,fish & quanity of dive sites. Spending (32) days on Bad Christmas Island might have been a tad overkill. Also remember there are no police on the island which is okay unless you need one.Presently I'm in Alona Beach,Bohol & will soon have another comparison in a few weeks.
Dive safe/Have fun

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Malapascua in IMPO is overpriced on food,lodging & diving compared to Moalboal & Dumaguete/Dauin. Also the diving is overrated as far as viz,fish & quanity of dive sites. Spending (32) days on Bad Christmas Island might have been a tad overkill. Also remember there are no police on the island which is okay unless you need one.Presently I'm in Alona Beach,Bohol & will soon have another comparison in a few weeks.
Dive safe/Have fun

KT

Krazytomdiver,

Just had a look on your profile, you've been some pretty unusual dive locations huh .. very nice, and guess Moalboal seems a little tame ? Where would you rate the best diving you've had to date ?

We didn't think Malapascua was a lot more expensive than Moalboal or Dumguete/Dauin trips we made last year, though staying Dauin with easy access to the shore dives, Apo island and Sigjour was maybe the superior of the three locations ? Moalboal, umm, we enjoyed, but missed having a beach on the door step, and maybe should have stayed a couple more days. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...alboal-december-2-4-2010-some-pics-words.html

Have flights booked to Manila first week of September for another 3 or 4 night dive holiday :D .. counting days !!

Cheers, and safe diving.

I did my first (3) dives today on Cabilao Island which is more then a (4) hour R/T slow boat ride. I do not recommend this expensive trip.(1000 pecos fuel charge) The 'Lighthouse wall' north & south plus the 'Falling tree' dive sites were actually below average of what I have experienced the first two months on Cebu. As for lodging it is expensive(cheap food) on Alona beach but I found a great place for a month about (15) minute walk to the D/S. Also cut a super deal with the D/S manager thanks to a very helpful fellow SB'er I met here! PM me if you would like the datails.

KT

Wantonmien, whats the water temps?

Matt - In Taiwan in summer (May~Oct) - water temp is about the same as Philippines, 26~29 C, so a shortie or thin skin is fine, North or South of island. In winter here drops to below 20C up North :shakehead:, and say 21~24 C down South (Kenting and the islands). The Turtle island (volcanic island) place here, hot spring water coming from sea bed in jets will scald/burn you if put hand directly into them.

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom